Car broken into Laptop and Bag of personals stolen

dieselhead

Today I brought my girlfriend into the University in Limerick and parked the car in the staff carpark. Walked into the building with her to go the accademic office and came back in literally 20mins and the back door window was smashed and her laptop and bag of personals including a hairstraightner hairdryer make-up and designer clothes were gone. The thing is that the laptop was covered by a coat and had 10 DVDs ontop of it was on the backseat on the passenger side and the bag of personals was behind the drivers seat. The window that was broken was the rear door window on the drivers side so obviously the thief spotted the bag not the laptop. There was other valuable stuff in the car that wasnt touched like my cd player (€500) 10 dvds my jacket(although it was searched for a mobile and wallet) tools. The car has an alarm and it did go off, campus security came and the gardai came but they didnt offer much hope. I am only 19 and my insurance premium is high enough and dont consider it an option as I hav just recieved 2 years no claims. I have windscreen cover and wonder if it will cover the window in the door? If anyone has any advice on a way of replacing the stolen items please let me know

glass should be covered under your policy.

Your personal effects might be covered under your policy, but not your g/f's. has she the laptop covered under her home policy by any chance?

Sorry to hear about your experience, a very costly lesson to learn I imagine.

I've never heard of windscreen cover covering windows, windscreens are much more uniform sizes than windows and thus likely to be readily available and much cheaper than specific windows.

Also, the theft section on my policy covers valuables but only if locked in the boot. Check your policy asap for exact details of your cover.

Most "windscreen cover" actually covers all glass in the car (though not a sunroof). Check the policy document.

Will using my windscreen cover affect my no claims bonus? I paid an extra €50 to add windscreen cover to my policy. I am insured with quinn direct if that makes any difference.

Quinn direct are sticky enough on paying some claims. I would say that windscreen means windscreen and not other windows.

Will using my windscreen cover affect my no claims bonus? I paid an extra €50 to add windscreen cover to my policy. I am insured with quinn direct if that makes any difference.

You'd have to check your policy booklet. It will specify under the windscreen section whether it covers other glass and whether it would affect your bonus. Give them a call. Just querying it won't hurt.

You'd have to check your policy booklet. It will specify under the windscreen section whether it covers other glass and whether it would affect your bonus. Give them a call. Just querying it won't hurt.

Not sure about QD, but some companies do cover sun-roofs.

Back