Car accident - who's liable?

I seem to remember something about cctv cameras in car parks. I think the Guards are the only ones who can request to see the actual recordings. I dont think you can request the recordings from the cctv owners

From [broken link removed]

"Any person whose image has been recorded has a right to be given a copy of the information recorded. "

If he was driving slowely then he should have been able to anticipate the hazard. It sounds like he was drivng too fast.

P.S. You should never admit liabality, It often turns out that you may think you were in the wrong but in fact you were not in the wrong.

If he was driving slowely then he should have been able to anticipate the hazard. It sounds like he was drivng too fast.

P.S. You should never admit liabality, It often turns out that you may think you were in the wrong but in fact you were not in the wrong.

But she says herself she admitted liability.
Perhaps one of the factors that led to the Gardai not being called was her admitting liability and suggesting to the other party that she would take responsibility.

To me this is an outrage, as are many of the responses here.

Just becuase you think you are wrong doesn't mean you are wrong.

my passenger had his feet out of the door and it was opem prior to the other car pulling into the space.......
i have contacted him again and he still says its not his fault and that i am now lying about what happened on the night. i think im going to go throught the insurances

Now that isn't what you said in the first post.

Did the passenger check for a car pulling in before the door was opened.

Perhaps 50/50 might be the best you could get.

Great answer with the brake Bobbins, now why didn't i think of that....there are such things as unavoidable hazards you know.....

Has anyone any experience of this , this actually happened to me today , I was actually parked very safely and was up on the path with only 2 wheels on the road so it is very clear the other driver was driving too close to the kerb, and also drove up at quite some speed

What if he had crushed your passengers legs??
Not stirring it, but a person being injured doesn't automatically attribute blame to the other driver. Same with the child jumping out of the car? Every road user has a duty of care - driver, passenger, pedestrian etc.

Tough one on the o.p. though. The guards called to the scene would only be in a position to ensure documents wre in order.

... I was actually parked very safely and was up on the path with only 2 wheels on the road ...
From your post I can't quite understand if someone hit you or what happened, but as regards to your parking, the rules of the road (in Section 10) state:
Even if you do not see a particular 'no parking' sign or yellow line on the road, you must not stop or park:
... wholly or partly on a footpath, ..."

"If you park in a way that is likely to cause danger to other road users, for example, if it forces a pedestrian out onto the roadway, a Garda can decide that this is dangerous parking and prosecute you. If you are convicted of this offence, you will receive five penalty points."

I was parked parallel , there where no yellow lines and it was a major road

I was out of my car with an open door and another drive drove past me and almost ripped my door off

I am just thankful it wasnt my arm or my leg to be honest

I don't believe the Guards are qualified to decide who is at fault, however they can obtain statements from both parties and provide an objective outlook on the matter.

Rose, Perhaps the car park has CCTV that will help verify your side of events. I think the best thing to do is pass the matter over to your insurance company and let them deal with it. I wouldn't bother communicating with the other party directly any longer, it only causes things to escalate if no-one is prepared to admit liability. Best of luck with things.

They wont provide any outlook. Unless there is a personal injury they dont want to know. If you ring them and say there is nobody hurt, they actually wont send anyone.

But she says herself she admitted liability.
Perhaps one of the factors that led to the Gardai not being called was her admitting liability and suggesting to the other party that she would take responsibility.

To me this is an outrage, as are many of the responses here.

exactly. she admitted liabillity. case closed. shes no trying to shameless wiggle out of it after some mature recollection. :)

Back