Capital Gains Tax on UK Investments

Micheal Smith

I'm moving from the UK to Ireland and have UK shares. If I sell these once in Ireland, would I pay Irish Capital Gains Tax on the increase (I'm assuming they do) since coming to Ireland or the over all increase compared to when I bought them several years ago?

Thanks

Overall increase since you bought them.

You may also be liable for tax in UK depnding on when you moved as you may still be considered tax residence for some time after leaving. ANy UK tax could be offset against irish tax liability

Thanks, if I sell and buy back to realise the gains in the UK - is there a period I must wait until buying them back?

Im not sure about capital gains tax rates in the UK but I assume its less than Ireland and there might also be useful indexation. In this case you should consider selling shares in good profit to realise gains at the lower tax rate. Keep as many loss makers as possible for use later in Ireland. For CGT, its where you are resident at the date of disposal that counts, not where you have been during the time the shares have been gaining or losing.

Back