Capital Gains Tax on property but no gain???

toby2111

Sale went through yesterday on a house that myself and 2 of my friends bought in 2006. Registered with RTB,was declaring rental income etc. Just wondering about CGT? We have not made a gain on the sale so how do I notify revenue? And how do I submit it on my return next year?

You file a return whether there's a gain, loss, or neither.

Ok. It says I have to pay by December 15th....I presume that deadline doesn't apply to me and I just make a return by October of next year?

Ok. It says I have to pay by December 15th....I presume that deadline doesn't apply to me and I just make a return by October of next year?
If there's no gain/no tax due then obviously there's nothing to pay and you just need to file the return by October 31st next year.

Great thanks. One last question -as it's a capital loss,can I write that off against my rental profit that I'll be declaring next year?

Great thanks. One last question -as it's a capital loss,can I write that off against my rental profit that I'll be declaring next year?
No. Capital losses can only be written off against subsequent capital gains. Not against income or any other tax. You should get professional tax advice given that you're asking such basic questions for somebody in your position.

Back