Capital expenses on rented property

J

Jackbally

I bought a house in 2007. Lived in the house up to 2010, then rented the house from October 2010 onwards. On the subject of capaital expenses, I bought quite a bit of furniture & appliances in 2007 & 2008, couch, beds, TV, washing machine, dishwasher, cooker, microwave, vaccum cleaner, table & chairs, timber flooring, fire place, fitted warddrobes, titles, shower, patio etc etc. When I do my first declaration of rental income to the revenue this year, can I expense all the above, which I believe is 12.5% over 8 years for depreciation?

I would claim capital allowances on the value of the furniture an appliances when you started letting. not timber flooring, fire place, fitted warddrobes, tiles, shower, patio though

Wear and tear is allowed at 12.5% and is not included in the items not allowed under preletting expenses.

Some of the items you mention sound more like part of the fabric of the building (capital expenditure to be taken agains CGT if you sell) so make sure you clear it with revenue.

Back