Capital Acquisitions Tax Query?

H

harlem

Hi,

I'm a first time poster, so if I've put this in the wrong section my apologies in advance!

My sister and her partner live in his family home. Her partner owns said property with his brother, with both brothers on the deeds.

Her partners brother now wishes to get off the deeds and mortgage as he wants to buy his own home.
He wants to sign it over them/no money would be exhanged for it as he does not pay the mortgage on the property.

What would be to best course of action in order to reduce the amount of c.a.t liable?
Should he sign his share of the deeds over to his brother completely or should he sign it over to my sister and his brother equally?
My sister and her partner intend to get married so I know that her name will automatically go onto the deeds then.

She has also lived there over 4 years.
Would she be entitled to an exception or a reduction on cat for this?

The brother already paid a hefty chunk of c.a.t on the same house last year when he took his ex-partner off the deeds and put his brother on the deeds with him.

Or could anyone advise how they would calculate how much c.a.t they would be liable to?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance =)

Why is brother on the deeds if he didn't pay mortgage? Did he ever contribute? Not being nosy but it is relevant for the possibility of a deed of trust situation.

Back