Cape Verde Islands - anyone been?

BillK

Mrs K arrived home today from shopping and had with her a brochure for a holiday in the Cape Verde islands.

I'd be grateful for any first hand info that anyone has e.g. cost of visas, can I use euros, and any other tips that anyone has.

(She wants to go on Tuesday of next week as she says that it's a good deal!

Re: Cape Verde Islands - any been?

Nope - but they're a long way away - half way to Brazil .. I've seen them out of the window of a plane if that counts!

Would be about an hours flight further than the Canaries, and direct flights are a problem - there are none from Ireland as far as I know, and very limited from the UK ... getting there would often involve going via Lisbon ... They're I believe very barren volcanic islands with a much less developed tourist infrastructure than the Canaries - you might think of that as unspoilt charm (though I think without the little bit of tourism the islands are very poor so not much local infrastructure either) or you might think of that as boring depending on your point of view

With reasonably close links to Portugal I'm sure Euros wouldn't be a problem and I don't think you need a visa

Still got no desire to go there personally .. it would want to be a very good deal imho :)

There used to be a bit of stuff about them on AAM on the old overseas property investment forum if that's still around as it was one of the more bizarre locations being ramped for a destination for property speculation which presumably has now come to a grinding halt.

in the office I work in 3 people went there last year. flying out of Manchester / other UK airports on All inclusive deals in hotels there, good value and they all liked it so much they recommended it to friends. I haven't been personally.

Thanks all for info. Booked it today and fly out on Tuesday am from Birmingham.
Approx. 6 hour flight which is pretty good for somewhere 450km off the coast of Senegal.

Seems a reasonable deal to me, at £1800 for two weeks in 5 star hotel all inclusive.
(Given that I've just found where MrsK keeps her purse it is even more reasonable than I first thought.

Enjoy Bill and let us know what its like on your return.

Excellent holiday!
Stayed at the Riu Funana all inclusive 5* (though I would suggest a good 4* is more accurate).

Excellent food, all buffet, and staff are very good.
Multiple restaurants some of which you need to book in advance. If you go to the Mambana for the African themed night make sure you have plenty of insect repellent as the mossies will eat you alive. (I'm not normally troubled by them as MrsK is the prime target, but even I got some bites!)

Things to note:

If you book late as we did then you are unlikely to have a visa; if this is the case go straight to the Visa section in the arrivals hall, pay up ypur 25Euro each and bypass the major queue waiting to have their passports stamped. We were through much faster than the majority of people waiting in the main queue.

Don't use Thomsons for their half day guided tour at 40 € each; we used some guys on the beach, Dilan, Elvis and Sousa for 25€ each for an eight hour trip. NB If you are susceptible to the sun, ask to sit inside the vehicle rather than on the back, as 8 hours in the sun can be too much.
They ask you to pay on return to the beach outside the hotel rather than in advance. Great tour, guys v. knowledgeable.

There is a constant breeze (think Trade winds) which give a comfortable temperature, BUT the sun will burn you without a good quality sunscreen.

Staff are very appreciative of t-shirts jeans etc that you want to donate as well as a few bob at intervals.

Nice walk into Santa Maria along the promenade, but if you want to take a taxi it will cost you 3€.

Mass is at 11.30 on Sunday in Santa Maria and is in Portuguese, but if you are not a linguist get a mass sheet on the way in and you can easily keep up. Please don't take photo's during the service as many tourists seem to think it's acceptable.

Last edited:
Back