Can't re-open Firefox without a restart of my PC

demoivre

This has happened quite a lot lately - close FF browser and return to my pc later and try and re-open the FF browser . I then get the message that FF must first be closed down ( yet no FF application is showing up in task manager as being open :confused: ) or my system restarted. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know how I can solve the problem ( other than restarting my pc :D ). I am running the most up to date version of FF.

Thanks for that link DD. I have tried the uinstall/reinstall route and no repeat problems so far - wasn't relishing the thoughts of going back to using IE :D

Back to IE? Heavan forbid! :)

BTW, I have found the latest version of Firefox not as stable as previous versions. Before this version I experienced maybe one crash since I started using Firebird. This latest version has crashed several times in the last couple of weeks.

If using Windows as a quick fix -

Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL.
Click TASK MANAGER
Click PROCESSES tab
Sort the Image name and look for FIREFOX.EXE
Click End Process.

Although am a big fan of this open source, in some areas its not as professional as Microsoft

Fair play if you have never seen any Microsoft application do something similar!

Nothing that isn't quickly sorted out by one of these... :rolleyes:
6303208_878c1133a0.jpg

Dearg Doom said:
BTW, I have found the latest version of Firefox not as stable as previous versions. Before this version I experienced maybe one crash since I started using Firebird. This latest version has crashed several times in the last couple of weeks.
Me too - I've also found that I can't restart Firefox after a crash without logging out of Win XP entirely and logging back in.

What is the "latest version" that people are referring to? 1.5.0.1 or some other (possible later and unstable) version? I have had the odd crash with 1.5.0.1 and have not had to do anything other than restart the browser. If I was consistently having problems then I would be inclined to reinstall it from scratch, removing extensions and/or profile if necessary.

I'm on 1.5.0.1 all right - The only recent new extension that I've installed is Google's own toolbar.

I'm using version 1.5.0.1 also - I haven't experienced any probs. since I did a reinstall from scratch the other day.

Back