Cant meet child Maintenance payments of €683/mth. I will unilateraly reduce payment!

Re: Cannot Meet Child Maintenance Payments

If the OP wants to get an idea of how judges view arrears of maintenance I suggest that he reads the Family Law Court Reports available on the Courts website. [broken link removed]are very informative. However, these cases took place before the suspension of imprisonment for debts.

This thread is the best contraceptive I have ever witnessed. Yikes!

And school fees, books, clothing, footwear, activities money, doctor bills, dentist bills, etc?

That's what the €800 is for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the examples you gave (school books, etc.) are once a year sort of purchases.

You are not living in the real world if you think a child needs more than €800 a month to live on. Although if you are the type of parent who thinks their child should be wearing mini-Nike Air Max and only eat vegetables from Fallon & Byrne...

Re: Cannot meet child Maintenance payments of €683/mth. I will unilateraly reduce pay

Please stay on topic and discuss the implications of the OP unilaterally reducing the maintenance payments. And alternatives which might allow him reduce / vary the payments.

OP, what does your solicitor say about your proposed unilateral action?

aj
moderator.

Re: Cannot meet child Maintenance payments of €683/mth. I will unilateraly reduce pay

OP, the implications of unilaterally changing a maintenance order are serious. The court will take a dim view of your actions and may impose an attachment of earnings order for the original amount plus any arrears. If the court hears nothing from you, they have no way of knowing that your financial circumstances have changed.

The only way to get the order varied (reduced) is to make an application to the court in advance, via your solicitor or the clerk of the court, laying out your new circumstances with income and expenditure documented and substantiated.

Acting unilaterally will only lead to additional problems.

child maintenance order against me through the circuit court
More of an observation really, but the maintenance order is not 'against' you - it is in favour of your children.

If the two of you can agree, you could consider paying spousal maintenance instead; it would be deductable in your hands for tax, though taxable as income for your former wife. Depending on your tax situations it might be worth considering.

OP, you should just go back to court instead of taking it upon yourself to change it, most important thing is to do everything above board! good to see the law has changed a small bit anyway.

I suggest we keep things simple when children are involved. When we give children everything they'll expect everything to be given to them. This does not build character in a child.

Hi again, to cut a long story short I am still making unilaterally reduced payments with no protest from my ex-partner (not ex wife). I took this to court in December to have the variation appliction heard. Unfortunately my ex-partner decided to apply for free financial aid at the last second when I was sitting in the dock, so the case could not be heard?! I am now in the process of re-applying to the Circuit Court.

Note, I will be representing myself in this application to the Circuit Court (As I did back in December, albeit briefly). I have collated all of the necessary evidence of Income and Outgoings/Expenditure. Recent hikes in Living costs e.g Petrol, Mortgage repayments coupled with new taxation (USC) have added increased pressure on everyone, so hopefully the Court will take this into consideration. Finally all of my children, i.e. My two girls for whom I am paying maintenance, and My two girls I have had with my Wife are very happy and are wanting for nothing that children need. My conscience is clear.

Back