Can't find operating system

eeyore2502

Help please, our son was playing a game on the pc and it froze we used control, alt and delete and closed the pc down, now when we turn it on its coming up can't find operating system!!

if you are using windows xp you could try a repair. To do this you need a windows xp professional cd you can use a friends cd as long as it is xp pro edition and not home edition
be sure to select repair and not to install fresh copy of windows as your product key will not work with a friends cd cd. Boot from this cd then choose to install xp in the next screen choose repair. your system will be checked and several files will be deleted the original ones wiill be reinstalled. After this is completed your system will have to have all service packs and hot fixes reapplied. some programmes may need reinstalling after this process

ps to boot from the cd you may have to enter the bios to set the computer to do this or there may be a fuction key you can press after starting the computer mine is f12 consult your manual for this

not sure but it should give the repair option I have xp try to boot the cd it should give you the options avaible

Usually installing XP fixes all Vistas problems!

I'd go with the repair form the Vista CD. Have you got your data backed up, if theres anything important on the PC.

When we bought the pc we didn't get a vista cd. Unfortunately we don't have our stuff backed up. Documents and that don't bother me its the 11 years of digital photos from holidays, our wedding, kids birthdays etc. Hopefully we will be able to get them back.

Hubby is currently running the process from the above link. Fingers crossed we won't lose the info.

I would be wary of doing a restore in that case. It tends to delete the my documents and everything in it including photos. I'd go buy and external case for the Hard drive. Put it in that. Then put a new hard drive in the PC and install Vista fresh on that. Then go backup your photos now on the external drive.

I've see that probelm with the OS being deleted like that before. I've only ever fixed it, by re-installing the OS.

What make of pc is it? You could try ringing the computer manufacturer's support services they might send you a vista dvd.AlbacoreA's suggestion is good but when you put the non operating hard drive into the external case use another computer to explore and backup all your pics that are curently "lost".When you put the non-operating os back into the pc you can do "ctrl+F11" "continuously tap F10" etc which will activate complete system restore.Your pc manufacturers website/support will tell you what key sequence to use.Please remember if you do this "system restore" EVERYTING will be wiped from the hard drive and a completely new and unpatched os will be installed.

An extra HD and external can be used as a backup system moving forward. Less than €100. But TBH if you've 11 years of digital photos on it I'd get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

Thanks everyone for your help. Its a dell pc just out of warranty. We have given up and are going to bring it to PC world for them to do the work.

Fingers crossed we won't lose the pictures.

Will also be using my external hard drive that I bought just after christmas to back up everything from now on.

Personally I wouldn't use PC world for something like that. They won't care if they lose your data.

We have it booked in for dignostics first 59.99 then depending on that result, we will get them to recover for an extra charge 49.99. Of course they are in no rush with it, was told it would be 1.5 weeks!

What do you need a diagnostic for.....the os is buggered €59.99 wasted.Tell them not to bother with the "diagnostic" just go ahead and get your documents/pics/music off the hard drive and give it back to you.Then switch it on while holding down the "ctrl" button and tapping "F11" that will bring you into the system recovery and will allow you to do a complete re-install.Use the €59.99 you saved to buy a good backup program,Acronis etc.

Back