Can't change insurance providers

ivorystraws

I'm wondering if someone can provide clarification.

I had a small accident with another car approximately 1.5 years ago. I hit the other drivers back wheel as they were driving out of the estate I live in and ended up leaving some minor scratches on the back rear panel plus minor damage to his rear wheel. My indicator light was broken. That was all ok and I agreed to buy him a new wheel for his 15 year old rover and we said we wouldn't involve the insurance companies. But I had the misfortune to give him my insurance details and thereafter, he put in a claim on my insurance for neck injury and €800 worth of damage to his car. Now, I'm unable to move insurer until the payment is decided upon and it hasn't yet been resolved. My private car insurance is up for renewal but has only gone down by €100 in the past 2 years whereas other friends insurance has nearly halved! It seems there's nothing I can do if the insurance company decides to pay out, I can't move insurer and disputing the claim hasn't resulted in any feedback from the insurer?

Ivorystraws,

Unfortunately that is the situation. Once a claim is 'open' (not settled) you can't move.

What I don't undersatnd is how you Insurance has come down, as normally what they do is take away your NCB until the 'claim' is settled, which should increase your premium. ???

Yea, they've sent on my renewal quote and attached my current NCB cert which entitles me to a 10% discount so it has come down.

I also contacted the Insurers Fraud unit directly via the claims handler in the claims dept to dispute this claim but since it is in the Insurers perogative to investigate any and all claims made against their Policies, nothing has happened in this case!! I feel very strongly on the validity of this claim and as a policyholder, I will make a complaint on the outcome of this claim and refer it to the Insurance Ombudsman's Office.

When you signed the proposal form you gave the Insurer the right to do what they wanted to with the claim. It's called 'Subrogation'.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that but I was made aware of my options to dispute the claim once it is settled when I contacted the Irish Insurance Federation regarding this matter.
So if the Insurance company has exhausted the internal complaints procedure as I requested, then that gives me grounds to go ahead and lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman as is specified on www.ombudsman-insurance.ie.

Guess I just have to wait then.

ivorystraws said:
So if the Insurance company has exhausted the internal complaints procedure as I requested, then that gives me grounds to go ahead and lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman as is specified on www.ombudsman-insurance.ie.

Just as long as you're aware that the insurance ombudsman was set up, and is funded, by the insurance industry themselves, not any independent or governmental organisation.

That's unbelievable, thanks for that info... I wasn't aware of that. Sounds ominous so but worth a shot I guess or what are the alternatives in order to dispute a claim as fraudulent and exaggerated??

the hard facts are that you did hit the other motorist and you ar eliable for the accident. if other driver puts in a claim for injury ,this muct be backed up by medical evidence. Your insurer will study this evidence and will come to a view on the value of the claim. If claimant has gone through PIAB, then then the case is probably being treated as an assessment by your insurers and the award made by PIAB has the same validity as a court order, so they must pay out.

Difficult as it sounds, a payment will be made and there is nothing you can do about it.

your only option, and this only if the insurer agrees, is to meet insurer ask them how much they think the case will cost; ask them to pay you that amount and in return ,you fight the case through the courts at your own expense. You will probaly have to agree to lodge some substantial funds with insurer if you intend to do this,.

If at the end of the day, claimant gets less, then you have the moral satisfaction of phyrric victory, if he gets more, then you are on the road to quick bankruptcy.

Yes, I would hope that the Insurance company will go through all the standard procedures but the bottom line is that I still view this claim as an exaggerated and fraudulent claim and once the claim is decided upon and a payment is made, I can lodge a complaint with the Insurance Ombudsman, which I will do.

Back injuries cannot be verified 100% to be as a direct result of a minor accident or whether the back injury existed previously.

Meeting my insurer to go and fight the case at my own expense is an option but not a viable or attractive option. Lodging a complaint with the ombudsman is a more attractive option despite the chances of it being successful being minimal.

OK, my case is now settled but my insurance is up for renewal at the beginning of May. I'm assumming I can change insurance providers now? What will other insurers need from me in order to provide me with a quote? Should I get something in writing in relation to the quote in order to at least seek other quotes to see if they are any better?

Any feedback/details or helpful information is much appreciated, thanks.

they will simply require your NCB letter which will be sent to you with your renewal notice. This will state how many years accident free you have been and also it will give details of the payout.

Thanks Ravima, that's exactly what I needed to know. They have already sent me on my renewal notice and my NCB letter which did not contain any details on the claim since it hadn't been settled but now that the claim has been settled, I'm assumming I should ask for the updated NCB to be sent on to me?

Back