Can't attend work on account of religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Employer not willing at the moment to discuss anything to do with religion with him - in case its misconstrued in any way. Have taken this advice from a number of posters on this site and its not bad advice.

They have already said it's fine for him to make alternative prayer arrangments even if it means him taking longer lunch hour on the day, provided its worked up on the same day (just so the job is finished on the same day) they are not going to get involved in his actual arrangments, they just want the times involved.

Thanks for that, might not be a bad idea to give them a ring to ensure all in order.

To me this sounds like a complete cop-out. Who would choose to travel the roads of Ireland on a Friday evening if they could off-load it on to someone else.
Is there an actual prayer service taking place on Friday lunch time which is compulsory for him to attend?. Have you considered attending yourself
I think this person needs to be reminded that this situation operates on team work and everybody takes equal share of the good and bad shifts

The workplace must be very close to the place of religious service, don't know how anyone could get from work to such a place and back in one lunch hour in Dublin traffic and have enough time to pray properly.

I think its good to see someone who has true beliefs,i had to give up my beliefs as i had to work sundays to pay the mortgage.

I think some people are missing the point. The fact that the person is muslim does not matter.

If you read the article about Sainsbury's, Senior Muslims have more or less said that this is just people suiting themselves.

In this case it would appear to be the same. I dont have to be mystic meg to know this person will find something else an issue later on. If he were Irish, he would find a different set of excuses to be obstinate. If he were English, a different set. It just happens now that he has an excuse (relevant to him) and given that people are afraid of confronting anything that could be deemed racist/discriminatory he will exploit that gap in the market, so to speak, for as long as he will get away with it.

We have all had awkward people in jobs, be it that you couldn't change a light bulb without an electrician, looking for 7.5minutes off (time and a half) because they stayed back five minutes late, and so on.

Company will seek legal advice as back up and will seek to enforce the terms of the contract.

This religion / time off debate is silly, you should be no more entitled to time off work to worship God(s) than I should to worship the tooth fairy.

Irish Catholic in pharmacy refuse to sell condoms
This is (or was at any rate) actually the case - when legislation was brought in during the 1980s to legalise contraception, Drs and pharmacists were allowed to opt-out on religious grounds.

I assume that person is a muslim who needs to attend a mosque on a friday.

I would suggest that they go to any number of musques that are around ireland to attend friday prayer.

Ask the guy about attending a mosque in where ever he happens to be working at the time.

Sit down with him to discuss the mosques that are avalible to him around ireland. ring the islamic cultural centre clonskeagh to get details of these locations.

I think its a very bad idea to get involved in any religious discussion with this employee, or any employee.

Stick to the terms of the contract and if the employee tries to bring in his religion just give the stock reply that you have no interest in any employees private lives and do not want to get into a discussion about it, all you are interested in is the terms and conditions of the job.

This is (or was at any rate) actually the case - when legislation was brought in during the 1980s to legalise contraception, Drs and pharmacists were allowed to opt-out on religious grounds.
But they would be self employed rather than employees surely? Different situation.

well in my opinion i feel it is relevant. i feel that our country is losing its culture because "we" as a country are trying to hard to make every other nationality, religion, race feel comfortable. And people are afraid to object because youll be classed as being a racist. Im sick of hearing take down that crib and cross at xmas time in a hospital or anywhere for that matter because it offends other religions. They are coming into this country knowing the religion is Catholic so either like it or lump it.
Kind of ironic that you call it xmas and then complain about the loss of Christian identity. I do agree that we should not abandon our Christian traditions (in so much as they relate to our cultural expression) in order to placate those who choose to move here from other countries but I don’t think that should be linked to an anti-emigration or racist platform. However we do have to accept that in the modern world nationality can no longer be defined by a homogeneous racial or cultural identity. In this regard I support a version of the American oath of allegiance.

Kind of ironic that you call it xmas and then complain about the loss of Christian identity.
Actually, in spite of people thinking that it's inappropriate or disrespectful, the word "Xmas" or variations on this theme have a long history dating back to times when it was deemed inappropriate or blasphemous to even mention the word "Christ".
I do agree that we should not abandon our Christian traditions (in so much as they relate to our cultural expression) in order to placate those who choose to move here from other countries
What about placating those who are born and bred here but object to certain expressions of this "Christian tradition"?
but I don’t think that should be linked to an anti-emigration
Yeah - what have people leaving Ireland got to do with this? :)
or racist platform.
The term "racism" is habitually misused by many people when they mean something else - e.g. xenophobia etc.
However we do have to accept that in the modern world nationality can no longer be defined by a homogeneous racial or cultural identity. In this regard I support a version of the American oath of allegiance.
Hopefully without the "One nation under God" bit that a lot of people unilaterally tack onto the end... :)

Actually, in spite of people thinking that it's inappropriate or disrespectful, the word "Xmas" or variations on this theme have a long history dating back to times when it was deemed inappropriate or blasphemous to even mention the word "Christ".
Jasus, I didn’t know that.

What about placating those who are born and bred here but object to certain expressions of this "Christian tradition"?
Speaking as a non-believer it doesn’t bother me to see cribs etc at Christmas, just as seeing Lepricons around St. Patrick’s day or witches at Halloween doesn’t bother me; they all go with the event. Whatever brand of crazy people want to believe in is their own business.

Yeah - what have people leaving Ireland got to do with this? :)
It’s not like you to spot typos. Thanks. I can’t edit your quote so I won’t bother to change my post :D
The term "racism" is habitually misused by many people when they mean something else - e.g. xenophobia etc.
I agree. I was replying to Soldiers use of the term.
Hopefully without the "One nation under God" bit that a lot of people unilaterally tack onto the end... :)
It used to just say "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. America" The “under God” bit was added in the 1950’s.

I think all of the above illustrates perfectly how fraught these issues are, and you are better avoiding all of the "noise" by keeping the frame of reference soley on the legal contract signed by the employee. The contract is there for exactly these kind of issues.

I think all of the above illustrates perfectly how fraught these issues are, and you are better avoiding all of the "noise" by keeping the frame of reference soley on the legal contract signed by the employee. The contract is there for exactly these kind of issues.

Agreed

As this has become a Letting Off Steam issue, I have moved it and deleted the posts from newly registered users.

Brendan

See what you mean. That's exactly what I did not want to start when posing the question in the first place.

If the mods think it has run its course, feel free to close.

Stick closely to the terms of the contract. Thats advice enough.

Is a Lepricon some kind of unicorn? Though I must admit I've never seen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back