Cannot get past booking deposit stage

bubbasmama

I am really hoping that I can get some help. On Monday , we found out that for the third time since the middle of Jan our sale has fallen through.
Last Dec we arranged our mortgage, its 100% as we did not want to wait for SSIA's as the prices were expected to go up. We have our booking deposit and solicitors fees etc ourselves.
We go to view the house/apartment, pay booking deposit ,tell bank, bank sends valuer , bank sends us and solicitor loan offer but we don't get any further.
The first time the house was completely structurally unsound (and had been sale agreed two times before) the second time, the developer decided to "keep" the apartment and the third time the vendor was not legally seperated so her solicitor could not release the deeds.
I suppose what I am asking is there anyway you can find out before paying the booking deposit if a house has been sale agreed and why it fell through or should the EA know that the deeds are with the vendors solicitor ??

bubbasmama said:
I suppose what I am asking is there anyway you can find out before paying the booking deposit if a house has been sale agreed and why it fell through
In general I don't think so since sale agreed is largely a private matter between seller and buyer. The EA should know but may not want to tell you if/why a sale fell through especially if it would put you off.
or should the EA know that the deeds are with the vendors solicitor ??
I don't understand your point here. Maybe you can clarify?

Thank you for the reply, I should have explained myself better. In the third instance, when the vendor was seperated, the EA and ourselves did not find out that the house could not be sold until the vendors solicitor told us (after 2 weeks). Would the vendor not normally have made contact with their solicitor before selling ? and would the EA not have this information before placing the house for sale ?

I don't think that the vendor would have that information in most or all cases. It would be more up to your solicitor to start the initial legal investigations to discover it I would have thought.

Ok, that makes sense. I suppose what I was starting to worry about was where there questions we should be asking before paying the booking deposit and starting the process. If there problems can't come to light until after , then there is little more we can do . Thanks for the help.

Back