Cancelling holiday on medical advice. VHI Health Insurance + MultiTrip Insurance

Prosper

I've cancelled the flights (€243) directly with the airline and cancelled hotel and other bookings (€2,033) through the Greek travel company. I was due to fly out to Crete tomorrow. Just got out of hospital today following an eye operation and was told by surgeon that I was not to take any flight. Now I need to make contact with VHI and see what I can get back. I took out Health Insurance + MultiTrip Travel Insurance with VHI last January. Before I make contact with VHI does anyone have any advice?

I had a similar claim with VHI in August. ( Due to fly out on Thursday, was very sick on Monday, and advised that flying was out) Got doctor to fill out their claim form on second visit ( charged me 20)

I was surprised at how it all went pretty ok with MultiTrip, and got my refund about 6 weeks later.

I was also on separate flights ( Aer Lingus) and a package for our Italy holiday.

VHI will require a confirmation from the Greek co, saying the date you cancelled and that your refund is Zero. (as well as you suppling all the original bookings and invoices)

Also, phone the airline and they will issue you a similar confirmation, and I got refunded the travel tax, but AL charge a 20 each way cancellation fee, which was deducted from Travel tax refund.

So, I got refunded everything by VHI ( except the Travel tax, of course0 BUT they do not refund the AL 20x2 fee.

I had 2 or 3 back and forth emails with the CXlaims handler but if you include that cancellation stuff, it will go fine.

Overall, it went very smoothly ( this was my first ever claim and thought that they would try every trick to wriggle out, but I was wrong!)

I have had to make a similar claim twice with VHI multitrip, both times no problem at all.
If you don't have an excess waiver, you will lose out on that amount per person but otherwise the claim process is fine, just have your cancellation confirmations and proof of any refunds already claimed, you will not be reimbursed for anything already paid out.
Good luck with the claim.

I had two claims for a daughter who could not travel on separate package holidays. The insurance was through an "everything Irish" Travel Agent. The insurance company was based in London. I had to supply doctors/consultants reports which cost plus details from the accommodation people. I was not allowed to contact the insurance company directly and all had to be channeled through the Travel Agent. Eventually, my claims were settled but the costs were more than the award. While the Travel Agent smiled at me on each of the many visits, I knew early on that I was wasting my time. I cannot say the experiences were good; in fact they were goddawful.

From Priscilla and Prittstick (above) I reckon the only insurance to take out is that based in Ireland.

Perhaps the lesson is to buy insurance from insurance companies and not ill-prepared intermediaries.

For once, I agree with Leo. You can't beat the hardened professional in his/her field for some kind of truth.

I note on another thread on this forum a poster putting his complete trust in a Travel Agent for nearly everything from price to location and terms of a holiday. I use Travel Agents only for special deals i.e pay €200 up front for say Fuerteventura and hotel to be allocated on arrival. All other holidays, I recommend people book privately with Irish people who own holiday homes abroad. DoneDeal has plenty of such people, but do your homework first re destination and of course the questions you need to ask e.g. walking distance to nearest safe beach, supermarket, etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I cancelled the flights and will only get €50 back from the airline. My appointment with outpatients is scheduled for end of month. At the moment my main concern is for the sight in my eye. I'll make contact with VHI before the outpatient appointment just to make sure I get from the medical team in the Eye & Ear Hospital what I need to make successful claims for medical costs and holidays costs.

Prosper, VHI multitrip have a time limit for claims, I can't remember how long it is. Might be no harm checking with them in case the claim should be submitted before you have to attend your OP apptmt.
Hope all works out well with your eye appmt.

Back