Health Insurance Cancelled VHI Policy

PeterD37

Just wondering if someone can help me through the labyrinth of health insurance policies and their costs and benefits.
I'm 44 and I was a VHI customer for 17 years or so until September 2019 (me, partner and three children under 18) when I lost my sole source of income so out went "luxuries" like health cover so food could be put on the table.
I'm in a better place financially speaking now and I went to re-start my health insurance but VHI want me to pay them for the full cost of all the missed months that I didnlt have cover if I want to re-instate cover with them. That's approximately €3,500 which I don't have and I would have to appeal to them to re-instate etc etc.

My query is, if I went to Laya or Irish Life, what extra costs will they impose on me for having a void of 7 months or so in cover?

I think it's not extra costs you have to worry about but the waiting periods. You could take out cover with any company as a new customer but the waiting periods are 6 months for new illnesses, 5 years for existing, 1 year for maternity. No waiting period for accidents.

There is also a loading for anyone taking out cover over the age of 35 but I gather any years you had cover under 35 are added to it so in your case it wouldn't apply.

I think it's not extra costs you have to worry about but the waiting periods. You could take out cover with any company as a new customer but the waiting periods are 6 months for new illnesses, 5 years for existing, 1 year for maternity. No waiting period for accidents.

There is also a loading for anyone taking out cover over the age of 35 but I gather any years you had cover under 35 are added to it so in your case it wouldn't apply.
Thankfully we're ok in that regard. No pre-existing conditions and we're done with Maternity!

Hi PeterD37,

What VHI were you and the family on before you cancelled?

Snowyb
Hi Snowyb
Many thanks for your question. We were on PMI 25 11 for the adults and PMI 41 15 for the children. What would you recommend as a comparable offer from Laya or Irish Life? With the World and our Health Care system in crisis for the foreseeable future, I need to re-start but keep it as relevant to our needs as possible but also affordable!

PeterD37,

Laya are probably best value for the children at the moment. They have a special offer for 5 plans whereby you pay for the first child and the rest of
the children are free. The following 2 plans are best value, worth considering, details as follows;

1. Laya Flex 125 Choice; price 632pa (total cost for all 3 children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private inpatient excess is 125 per admission, day case excess is 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess,
refund of 30 per gp visit, 60 per consultant visit. etc.

2. Laya Flex 125 Explore; price 374pa; (total cost for all 3 children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private inpatient excess 125 per
admission, day case excess is 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

3. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 190 per child; (total 570 for 3 children); all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess is capped at
200 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Adult Options
The following plans are alternatives to VHI PMI 25 11 plan at cheaper prices.
Laya Simplicity, Laya Connect Simplicity and Laya Control 300 Create fully cover a private room in a private hospital which is higher level
hospital cover than before.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The following plans cover a semi-private room in a private hospital. Irish Life Benefit plan covers public, private and Beacon hospital at a good price.
Simply Connect and 4D Health 2 plan, tick all the boxes, including 3 hi-tech hospitals.

By the end of the week, the health insurance providers will make an announcement regarding any premium adjustments in relation to the current
Covid 19 situation, if any.

Note; One adult at least must be insured with Laya if the children are with Laya.
The same applies to Irish Life.

Regards, Snowyb

PeterD37,

Laya are probably best value for the children at the moment. They have a special offer for 5 plans whereby you pay for the first child and the rest of
the children are free. The following 2 plans are best value, worth considering, details as follows;

1. Laya Flex 125 Choice; price 632pa (total cost for all 3 children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private inpatient excess is 125 per admission, day case excess is 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess,
refund of 30 per gp visit, 60 per consultant visit. etc.

2. Laya Flex 125 Explore; price 374pa; (total cost for all 3 children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private inpatient excess 125 per
admission, day case excess is 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

3. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 190 per child; (total 570 for 3 children); all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess is capped at
200 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MTIsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE3NTQsMTk4MCwxOTc5LDE2NjJdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Adult Options
The following plans are alternatives to VHI PMI 25 11 plan at cheaper prices.
Laya Simplicity, Laya Connect Simplicity and Laya Control 300 Create fully cover a private room in a private hospital which is higher level
hospital cover than before.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE5NjgsMTIxMCwxNTU0LDE5MzRdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The following plans cover a semi-private room in a private hospital. Irish Life Benefit plan covers public, private and Beacon hospital at a good price.
Simply Connect and 4D Health 2 plan, tick all the boxes, including 3 hi-tech hospitals.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCwxNzU2LjExXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE1NjcsMTY2MiwxOTM0LDE5OTFdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

By the end of the week, the health insurance providers will make an announcement regarding any premium adjustments in relation to the current
Covid 19 situation, if any.

Note; One adult at least must be insured with Laya if the children are with Laya.
The same applies to Irish Life.

Regards, Snowyb
Hi Snowyb
Thank you so much for the above. It's makes my choices so much easier! I really do appreciate it

Back