Can you still buy an LCD/Plasma thats NOT HD ready?

RMCF

I am in the market for a flat panel TV for the spare room.

It will only be used for SkySD and maybe Freeview(SD). Due to this I was wondering if it is still possible to buy a non-HD flat panel?

I know that some may say that I should future proof and buy a HD set, but I have seen some in action and they can often be poor with some SD signals. I would prefer just to buy a cheapish SD set.

What you are looking for is an ED tv. I don,t think they are available but you could ask around. What you are looking for is Plasma tv that has a native resolution of 854 X 480. ED tvs have a better picture showing standard definition tv as most tv shows are still shown in standard definition 480p and therefore because their native resolutions are closer the picture is better, no need for to much up conversion or down conversion. ED tvs are capable of showing HD signals 720p 1080i and 1080p but they will be down converted to the tvs native resolution 480p a difference of 20% in picture quality. ED stands for Enhanced Definition.

What you are looking for is an ED tv. I don,t think they are available but you could ask around. What you are looking for is Plasma tv that has a native resolution of 854 X 480. ED tvs have a better picture showing standard definition tv as most tv shows are still shown in standard definition 480p and therefore because their native resolutions are closer the picture is better no need for to much up conversion or down conversion. ED tvs are capable of showing HD signals 720p 1080i and 1080p but they will be down converted to the tvs native resolution 480p a difference of 20% in picture quality. ED stands for Enhanced Definition.

Thanks for the reply.

Thats just what I'm looking for. Now where to find one might be a problem.

Back