Can you advise please Jsa related.

Songbird123

Hi all, I am currently seeking employment after 5years as my kids are all in school now. My DH is claiming my credits and he is claiming fis. We have 3 kids and he is earning €480 pw.

Would I be entitled to JSA or benefit while I am looking for employment? If so, how much would I receive?

TIA

Hi Songbird,

it is highly unlikely that you would qualify for Jobseekers Benefit given that you have not been in insurable employment in the last 5 years.

You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance, but as you know you will be means tested against your husband/partners income.

Any entitlement to Jobseekers Allowance is based on the family rate of JA - €188 + €129.80 + €29.80 for each child = €407.20.

Social Welfare disregard income of €20 per day from work for a maximum of 3 days = €480.20 - €60 = €420.00 this is assessed at 60% which means that his €480 is assessed as being worth €252.00.

(As this is higher than the basic €188 JA rate, it looks like that you would not qualify for Jobseekers Allowance.) - Updated text follows...

UPDATE: You may qualify for a payment of €155.20 on Jobseekers Allowance based on an assessable income of €252.20 against an income of €480.

Given that you have 3 children, have you applied for FIS? - Family Income Supplement.

Family Income Supplement (FIS) is a weekly tax-free payment available to employees with children. It gives extra financial support to people on low pay.

You must have at least one child who normally lives with you or is financially supported by you. Your child must be under 18 years of age or between 18 and 22 years of age and in full-time education.

To qualify for FIS, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. The FIS you receive is 60% of the difference between your average weekly family income and the income limit which applies to your family. See FIS on Citizens Information.

One last thing... It is important to remember to follow up on any 'credits' you might have been entitled to while a 'homemaker' - see homemakers credits on Citizens Information.

Hope this proves useful.

Last edited:
Hi Inou, thank you for going into great detail to work that out for me. We are claiming fis atm €72 per week, will this go against my claim for jsa?

Back