Can wife claim sick husbands social welfare?

sammi

My friend's Husband was taken into hospital today, he needs surgery and will probably be in hospital for the next week or so.

The problem is the social welfare pay him for the whole family (wife & kids). Since he's going to be in Hospital is there any way my friend (his wife) can get paid instead.

They're living hand to mouth and can't afford to miss a weeks pay.

My friend's Husband was taken into hospital today, he needs surgery and will probably be in hospital for the next week or so.

The problem is the social welfare pay him for the whole family (wife & kids). Since he's going to be in Hospital is there any way my friend (his wife) can get paid instead.

They're living hand to mouth and can't afford to miss a weeks pay.

No she cant collect his payment. In view of the fact that he is in hospital he should apply for illness benefit as technically he is no longer a jobseeker. Get his wife to get his GP to fill out an MC1 for him and and then MC2(this should be submitted every week) if he is in hospital for longer than a week and these should be sent to Dept of Soc Protection, Aras Mhic Dhiarmada, Store Street, Dublin 1 or they can be dropped into local sw office and they will send them on or register his IB claim. In the meantime his wife should go to the local community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance until monies from illness benefit come through (assuming he is entitled to illness benefit) if he is not entitled to illness benefit supplementary welfare allowance will continue to be paid until her husband is again fit for work.

What payment is he on at the moment? Depending on what it might be (e.g. a pension), his wife could be appointed as an agent and be able to collect it on his behalf.

If he's on jobseeker's, then, as eastbono said, it can't be transferred, but his wife can claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance. Contact the SWA officer via the local HSE health centre.

Back