Can website have a different name than business name as registered with revenue?

AJ1

Hi,

Myself and a colleague have recently become self employed. We are both registered with revenue in our own name as sole traders. We both rent the same office, each paying half.

We are thinking of starting a website stating the services we offer (clinical services for children) My query is can the website name have a different name than either of our names?

Thanks

Yes in fact I’d say it’s nearly the norm if you look at the actual company names that own most brands out there. The Irish domain registry might ask you to provide a company number or letter explaining your need for the domain you register, but I’ve yet to hear of them challenging requests.

Reactions: AJ1
Yes, but it is best practice to have the online trading name registered with the cro as a business name by one of you

It is also worth noting that registering the business name with the CRO does not protect the name, they don't care if there are multiple businesses with the same name.
If you need to protect the name register it as a trademark.

Thanks everyone. We actually don't have a business name as we are sole traders in our own names. I just wondered would there be a problem in registering a website with a different name (some sort of summary of our profession)!

Website name doesn't matter hugely - make sure you are using search engine optimisation and whatever you choose match across all your online media.

Back