Can we afford kids?

why not enjoy every minute of it.
it is their choice to have children, even though they are young - why not have kids now - my brother and his wife had a kid when they were 20/21 - they are young now and can enjoy a life that those in their 30's with young kids can't - and they had very little money too..
OP, money is always going to be an issue - you have managed up to now to save for a house on relatively low salaries...
With a bit of bugeting and planning you can save a few pounds - we are in the process of doing this ourselves - pay off all loans asap as you are paying interest... As for staying at home you might find it tough on one income, even a part time job or child minding can bring in some extra money..
All the best,
P:)

If you are looking to reduce your costs you could just use mobile phone only.
I use a mobile phone that costs 25-30 euro per month(200 minutes of calls and 200 texts included in package for 25 euro) 3 mobile broadband costs 20 euro per month.Coverage is very good
This way you have no need for a phone line.

I would suggest making less phone calls and ditch the land line.

You are still young, enjoy the time you have together while you can.

We are a couple that have gas in our home for cooker and heating and we pay no higher than €90 per bill.
Because we both work all day heating is on for average 4 hours per day, longer at weekends. €160 sounds very high for a couple.

Like you I often wonder how on earth we would manage to afford kids in the future and we are earning okay wages but everywhere we turn lately, prices have increased which I'm sure you are aware of, so much so that I'm back in college at night time doing a course so that I can work from home when I need to.
Is there any possibility of you doing a course so that you could do the same?, maybe childcare or beauty therapist?

You seem to be organised and focused. Put a squeeze on all of your bills, utilities, insurance, food, day-to-day stuff. Do clear your debts by year end. Maybe transfer your tax credits to your husband and try to live off his wage while saving yours as a safety net; if you can manage on his wage then you can afford kids.

My hubby wouldnt get a promotion as its a trade job he does but he will get a pay rise this august and on a yearly basis

Annual gross income spouse: 25k

This is what you need to concentrate on. Your husbands income is on the low side, but he is young enough to be able to do something about it. If you are to be sahm, you need your husband to ask himself "where will I be in 5-10 years?" in terms of career and income. If it is the case that in his current trade, his income will rise very significantly over the coming years, then its ok to stick with it. If its a case that he's only going to get modest increases annually, then he should explore other career avenues. He's currently earning significantly less than the average wage - there is no use being in a trade if your not earning enough money.

Thanks for your advice and opinions everyone..didnt get a chance to reply till now. Well we weren't thinking of starting a family straight away just looking ahead at maybe the end of the year /early next year. Meant to say that our wages i've put in are after tax.we are sticking to our budget as planned and ive gone further ahead in my planning and have budgeted up to July 09 at that stage we will have all loans gone apart from mortgage and 16k savings so we'll be on the way :)
Thanks again to all who replied its always good to get a realistic opinion as i hate hearing "ah sure it'll all work out" I think we'll start our family next year and i cant wait :)

Thanks again to all who replied its always good to get a realistic opinion as i hate hearing "ah sure it'll all work out" I think we'll start our family next year and i cant wait :)

Good for you, keep practicing :D - you never know you could end up like the friend of a friend of mine who ended up with five kids under one, twins first and then triplets eleven months later! :D

holy moly 5 under 1 don't say that you'll scare mrs m off them completely :0

mrs.m.

If you can't afford kids no-one can !.

My partner and I desperately wanted a family, money wasn't the issue - miscarriages were. We split up, and now I'm too old (emotionally). Go for it.

Mrs M,

I know this website is ask about money, but taking money out the equation for a second. The it'll all work out has advantages: having children younger in life is better for parent and child.

Getting pregent is not an exacy science!, waiting a year could turn out to be 3/4.
Your husband needs to play soccer in garden...no walking sticks allowed.
Watching the simspons with family- you don't want to be too old to get the jokes!

Best of luck.

I have just had a baby myself and I am due back to work in 8 weeks. It looks as if it wont pay me to go back to work or to stay at home. there is no right time to plan a baby it would be nice to be financially stable but it will all work out. Thats what I have been told.

your eircom bill seems quite high, my bill is €120 every two months, its called talktime anytime and includes broadband. think you should check different packages.

I understand where you are coming from i was in the same sort of position, to be honest i think once you are in a position that you have no bills, there is no reason why you can't afford kids and stay at home. My husband and i only earned approx 30k each and i have now left work and have a little girl (6 months) but we have no loans and once you can budget and stick to it you should be fine. However, i'd try have a bit in savings for esentials about 2 or 3k for essentials for baby ie: pram, cot etc before you have any kids. You would be amazed how much money you ill spend... but when you have to really budget you can.

don't forget you get childs benefit of €165 a month and early childcare supplement of €275 every 3 months, this helps....

Just found this thread by accident but it hit a chord with something I was reading today and our own circumstances.

Picked up a 2006 issue of Newsweek this afternoon whilst lounging in the garden. The article that caught my eye was all about how couples today are putting off having kids until they are well into their 30's or even 40's.

If I had read that article 18 months ago then it might have had some resonance but today, having chased my angel around the garden in her baby-walker and been bitten for trying to get the flower petals out of her mouth I'll tell you honestly that nothing, and I mean nothing, equals the joy of kids. Something will always seem to get in the way but equally something always turns up to keep the wolf from the door.

Get on with it!! I wish I had of started earlier! Might still be able to wheeze through a game of footy with the next one if the missus is up for it next year!! :)

Ancutza - what age are you (age range?)
I sometimes feel too old to start (though am less than 35).

... However, i'd try have a bit in savings for esentials about 2 or 3k for essentials for baby ie: pram, cot etc before you have any kids. You would be amazed how much money you ill spend... but when you have to really budget you can. ...

You don't even need that much, unless you want everything new and the 'best' (which will gather dust in a few months time :). A cot, a pushchair and a car seat are all you need. Quite often, friends who had kids before you are quite happy to donate these. Ebay is also extremely good. Most people buy an all singing all dancing travel system, use it very little, and end up using a Maclaren foldable buggy like everyone else. Second hand baby gear is generally very good and the baby couldn't care less! All a baby needs is milk, warmth and cuddles.

Have you taken into consideration if both parents go back to work how much Childcare will put a hole in your pocket??? I fork out 270 per child per month and i have 2 children ... your both need to think about it in my opinion. And dont forget how much children cost you!! and im just talking about living expenses, dont forget about all the stuff your going to need for the arrivial/s.

Lets pray its not twins :D

<Quite often, friends who had kids before you are quite happy to donate these. Ebay is also extremely good.>

no one wants hand me downs anymore btw .. im sure two working professionals would want there own stuff for there child, as i did, but when sacrafices have to be made you will go to all lengths to do it.

<Quite often, friends who had kids before you are quite happy to donate these. Ebay is also extremely good.>

no one wants hand me downs anymore btw .. im sure two working professionals would want there own stuff for there child, as i did, but when sacrafices have to be made you will go to all lengths to do it.

Is this being funny or do you fully believe that no one could want hand me downs anymore???

Wife is about to pop out our first in a few months and we are lamenting the fact none of our close friends have kids, so the hand me down options will be limited. We were both rared on the logic of kids not knowing any better!!! saying that I know my wife will want little dresses or jeans and jumpers (depending on gender) for days out/family functions etc..., but 90% of the time hand me downs will do....

Back