Can we afford kids?

Hi again :)
actually I'm 28 now and would be 29 when we would have a baby assuming there's no complications. I don't feel like its too young..its just moving onto a new stage in life which we are both ready for after 10 years of enjoying ourselves and "living"
Meant to say also, the mortgage payments are now 930 a month with the tracker rate. And I got a gas bill this morning for 20euro as the previous one was estimated (and was 140) so we have really gotten that down-I'm delighted with that. I usually take a reading myself about half way through a bill & work out how much we're at so I keep a good track on it.
I have already researched the cloth nappies & have definitely decided on them and mad as it sounds I already have baby clothes stored away!

thanks everyone

Well done and best wishes.

Like others I found this post very interesting and regard Mrs M as being very sensible and capable.

I would like to wish her and her husband the best of luck and may their dreams come true.

It is interesting how people seem to think you can choose to have children when you are young. I think having children depends on when you meet the right partner. I did not meet the right partner when I was in my 20s. Even though I always wanted kids when I was in my 20s, I was not prepared to settle with anyone, just so we could start a family. I waited til I met the right partner, even though it meant not having a child til I was 36. I don't regret this as I know I always wanted a family and I would have tried to have kids with my partner if I had met him when we were younger.

I think there is no right age to have a family. It is more important to have a family with the right man and not to just use anyone, because a person wants a family.

Best of luck to you in your journey to parenthood.

I just came across this post today and have enjoyed reading it. ALl the best for the rest of this year. We waited for 7 years before having our first. We enjoyed our first years of marriage together, building a home, reducing our mortgage etc. And while it was tough we are now in a pretty ok position.We would love to have my wife be a sahm but she does work from home so that helps in some ways, but she struggles with working when she would love to be with our two girls, had our second last year.
There def are savings to be had for a mum/dad stay at home, childcare, reduced food bills with more careful planning. My wife does a weekly meal plan and we shop to that. Amazing the difference it makes to our grocery bill. PLus when the girls get more time it shows in there lives. Buy second hand, all our baby equipment was second hand. Clean it and air it after getting it.

We use washable nappies and there if def a saving in that, esp if you are planning on having more than one. A little more work, but we reckon healthier for the baby. My wife is designing one at the moment.

Children will change your lives for ever, but you def won't want to be without them. It gets better and better. Just work on building a strong and healthy marriage and relationship with your spouse your children will be all the better for it.

Enjoy the whole process and keep us updated.ALl the best.

Hi again :)
actually I'm 28 now and would be 29 when we would have a baby assuming there's no complications. I don't feel like its too young..its just moving onto a new stage in life which we are both ready for after 10 years of enjoying ourselves and "living"
Meant to say also, the mortgage payments are now 930 a month with the tracker rate. And I got a gas bill this morning for 20euro as the previous one was estimated (and was 140) so we have really gotten that down-I'm delighted with that. I usually take a reading myself about half way through a bill & work out how much we're at so I keep a good track on it.
I have already researched the cloth nappies & have definitely decided on them and mad as it sounds I already have baby clothes stored away!

thanks everyone

Back