Can the last residential Landlord turn out the lights?

They couldn't even lock up the slum landlords in the recent scandal.. Pathetic

There will be winners and losers here,

If enough LLs exit the market, Paddy will do his best to circumvent the law and name his price. If you think its bad now... Chaotic is what it is.
And yes, you are correct, I have backed out of another investment property, as Iv no idea what this crowd are going to brainstorm next.

So Glad I got out a little while ago.
Im getting emails from from a few friends who are still in the game now asking me whats the best way out.
So now they are making landlords criminals, while doing nothing about delinquent tenants who wreck properties and steal tens of thousands by not paying rent. And also the pones who actually steal the property by not leaving are still protected.
A sorry mess is what it is.

It's probably worth noting that this proposed legislation is at a very early stage and at the moment the RTB doesn't have anything like sufficient resources to perform the role suggested in the Minister's proposals.

An area can be designated an RPZ for a maximum of three years under current legislation - so most RPZ designations will expire in December 2019.

In other words, the proposals are very unlikely to have any meaningful impact, even if they do make it on to the statute book.

Unless they extend the RPZ of course.

The housing lobby groups will be queuing up when the time comes.

Do you really believe they will expire?
I dont. If they do they will just be replaced by something even worse.

Do you really believe they will expire?
It's not a question of what I believe - it's written into the legislation. Any extension of the RPZ regime would require amending legislation.

Is it possible that we could see amending legislation? Sure.

The RPZ regime has been an abject failure by any measure, as was widely predicted by anybody with the most basic grasp of economics. Rent controls simply never work - they are counter productive.

I'm absolutely positive that the current Minister for Housing is well aware of this fact.

But politics is politics...

Politicians have to be seen to be doing something, even if most people would consider it something less than wonderfully intelligent or helpful.

I suspect RPZs are here to stay. And when they come to amend the legislation, it will probably be done in such a way that they won't have to change it again soon.

Just to add as a landlord who has being toying with the idea of selling up this has made the decision for me.... not in a RPZ ... yet!...SW tenants who have been there a long time no issues really look after the place ( in return we have been more than fair re rent... could get few hundred more but solid tenants worth more to us). However just the way things are going have decided enough is enough.... won't make our money back but still come out with a decent sum...nice holiday upgrade the car and a good foundation for college fund! Tenants will then become another problem for government to solve and this is what all this legislation is going to achieve.... never expected gratitude or reward for "helping" with housing our population in a small way but neither signed up for vilification and resentment for being a wealthy fat cat landlord!!! I wish!!

This is more headline grabbing rubbish from Eoghan Murphy who represents the area of Dublin with the highest level of rented properties.

I got out and I've never been happier.
I kept my apartment as a crash pad for myself and the family though as will probably have use for it in a few years for the kids.

I figured if I stayed renting it there was only downside on the horizon. Probably very soon I wouldn't even be allowed to sell it or if I was the value would probably be killed by not being allowed to have vacant possession.

No, it just didn't work for me anymore. And there was just more and more interference, and as we can see the interference has become a regular thing, ALWAYS at the expense of the landlord.

Out of all my friends and colleagues who are in this game, I got out first and the others decided to ride it out. Last couple of days they are all panicking and want out now too. All of them. Some have paid off the mortgages it they are very small and like me want to keep the second homes but don't want to risk renting them because there is all risk and hardly profit in it.
Others are just giving the tenants notice and selling. It's a hot topic last few days.

I kept my apartment as a crash pad for myself and the family though as will probably have use for it in a few years for the kids.
I think we'll see a lot more of this happening to be honest, especially for landlords who have small mortgages after letting their places out for a number of years. If it's not costing you anything to keep it vacant, or very little, it's a practical option and will be very handy as you say for your kids to use in years to come.

Back