Can the landlord charge the tenants apartment management fees?

You can only charge your tenants whatever rent and other charges are in the letting agreement

You can put what you like into it, more or less, but you cannot add fees and charges afterwards

A letting agreement would often have clauses relating to charges that may be added eg waste collection which stipulates who is responsable for paying this

You can only charge your tenants whatever rent and other charges are in the letting agreement

You can put what you like into it, more or less, but you cannot add fees and charges afterwards

A letting agreement would often have clauses relating to charges that may be added eg waste collection which stipulates who is responsable for paying this
Thanks but just so i'm clear, provided all charges are specified in the agreement, not prohibited in the regulations and agreed by the tenant in advance, a landlord can recharge. Is that the same for LPT?

The total of the charges, etc would be considered the rent amount

I might be wrong but what I think the OP is asking is can they charge a (new) tenant management fees on top of the maximum allowable rent increase.

It's hard to see the RTB not view this as an attempt to bypass the legislation.

It is clear that charges and taxes other than rent can be charged, as the legislation refers to that more than once in S12 (4). Additional charges and taxes are also referred to in S16(a). It says in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement so charges need to be specified but it doesnt say they are prohibited.

It is clear that charges and taxes other than rent can be charged, as the legislation refers to that more than once in S12 (4). Additional charges and taxes are also referred to in S16(a). It says in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement so charges need to be specified but it doesnt say they are prohibited.
Correct, but the suggestion here is that these charges be introduced some considerable time after the initial lease agreement is put in place. The real issue here pertains to how the RTB would interpret later adding costs not detailed in the original lease agreement that had to that point been covered as part of the stated rent. We know how the RTB work, I wouldn't like to be depending on them thinking it wasn't an increase.

Back