can the boss monitor me?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I my job I don't need to be at the desk all the time and traditional that has been fine once the work gets done. New boss is watching and recording attendance at the desk without informing us. Is this legal?

Unregistered said:
Hi,

I my job I don't need to be at the desk all the time and traditional that has been fine once the work gets done. New boss is watching and recording attendance at the desk without informing us. Is this legal?

Why would it be illegal??

Depends on what you mean by monitoring and also what the terms of your contract are.

If your contract states that you should be at your desk between certain hours then I don't see the problem in the boss ensuring that is happening.

C

contact just provides that I work 37.5 hrs, whenever, and the work is completed.

By monitoring I mean keeping records of who's using the office. We have never been told that these records are being kept and only came out when someone had an issue.

Surely recording attendance and timekeeping of employees is a reasonable activity of a manager or am I missing something here?

The fact that the existence of the records seems to have been suppressed may put the employer/manager on dodgy ground.

Unregistered said:
New boss is watching and recording attendance at the desk without informing us.

But yet you know anyway. Doesn't seem like he went to any great lengths to conceal it in which case he's unlikely to be on dodgy ground.

Personally, I think it's reasonable that managers should have some handle of where ther staff actually are versus where they should be.

Back