Can Sterling be withdrawn from banks with Cirrus Card

rheinie

Am travelling to Wales next week and was wondering if my cirrus card can be used to make withdrawls from ATM machines.

ClubMan said:
Yes. But preloading a credit card might be cheaper. See here.

Clubman is correct. My advice would be to pre-load your credit card. You will be charged commission on your cirrus card as Wales is a 'non-Euro' country. Make sure you pre-load credit card account with sufficient amount for duration of your stay, otherwise you will be charged cash advance fees on your credit card, which will be expensive.

i use a deposit account, well dual account card from ulster bank, have done so for years, and dont get charged for withdrawing money in uk. have to use main banks though

I'm heading over to Liverpool in a few weeks and I have a PTSB Visa Card and could get a BOI Cirrus Card (it's only a PASS card at the moment). Am I right in saying that I would be better topping up my Credit Card and then withdrawing Sterling that way rather than getting a BOI Cirrus Card?

Depends on the charges. PTSB VISA will charge a forex margin of 1.75% on non € cash withdrawals (not advances). You'd need to compare this with the forex margin and other charges levied by BOI Cirrus.

Back