Home Can someone be denied cover?

squibs

The scenario involves a house insured claims free for 10 years.
Insurance company (broker actually) was called for renewal price check. They asked if the house was in a flood area and were told that the town has areas that flood, but the house in question was located on land 15 meters higher than the area that floods. The company declined to quote.

Can they be compelled to quote for full coverage, even if premium is huge. Being denied a quote has lots of implications, and the reason for declining to quote is ridiculous.

We have been denied cover by Quinn for the very same reason and ended up having to insure with Hiscox instead at over 1700 Euro for a small house. The Quinn quote was over 900 which was vastly cheaper but like you we are in a town that has flooding issues even though we do not flood.
We called them and they said that they have set rules and do not deviate from them or make exceptions.

Thanks for that. What gets me is that my house CAN'T flood. 15 meters elevation over the area that floods, on a hill. If I flood, so will most of the country.

I think I've read that you legally have to be given a car insurance quote (but the premium could be ridiculous). I was wondering if the same applied to house insurance.

We used a broker and he did his best for us but failed. We are high up as well and can not flood. We even offered to allow them to write that flood cover out of the policy but they would not vary their policy for us.

Their is no onus on insurance companies to give any sort of quotation for home insurance (unlike motor insurance). A lot of the insurers seemed to have adopted geo rating for areas, which can often be a scatter gun approach to underwriting & doesn't take into account individual properties.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Thanks Jimbobp. Is there a regulatory body for insurers that I can complain to?

I really don't want to let this slide as I'll have to declare that I've been denied insurance to other companies. The "scattergun approach" is inequitable. I'm also wondering if I need to declare this to my existing insurance company if I let them auto-renew with their extortionate premium.

Hi squibs, you could complain to the insurance ombudsman but if I'm being honest it would be a waist as even if the company in question were forced to quote you they would quote their max premium figure which could be just about anything. Most companies don't want to take the risk on flooding areas no matter the circumstances as the risk can usually outweigh the gain. My advice would be to ask a broker if they can find you cover, but don't expect it to be cheap as home insurance seems to have increased in general this year due to the high amount of claims made last Xmas.

Hope this is some help. Bear

Last edited:
Hi there,

when i bought my house 5 years ago, it was right beside a flood path, and the insurance company looked at map and i am on flat but at the back of houses that flooded previously, So my house insurance is the same as others , its with 123.ie not sure which broker tho

Back