Can Property Taxes Reduce House Price Volatility?

No, other than the report I quoted in my first post. I agree that they don't show evidence to support their conclusion. In my view property tax would depress the value of houses slightly, would broaden the tax base, be a more stable source of revenue than income or transaction taxes and move a small amount that broadened tax base away from wealth creation and onto wealth retention.
I haven't thought this trough
one advantage might be to drive the size and value of high priced housing down because it is not just being able to buy or repay the mortgage
there would be higher yearly property tax to pay,
But as I said I haven't given it much thought except work is taxed as high as it can unless Benefits are increased, Direct payroll high earners, and their employers are highly taxed compared to others,

The wealth that cannot be moved will get a hammering no matter who is in power no party can/will avoid increasing taxes on this sector it is just a matter of finding the right time to do so,

Would removing the CGT exemption on PPR help. Maybe even increase to CGT to 80% for houses. Remove the incentive to sell your house for huge amounts and discourage speculation.

Would removing the CGT exemption on PPR help. Maybe even increase to CGT to 80% for houses. Remove the incentive to sell your house for huge amounts and discourage speculation.
That would also disincentivise down-sizing.

Back