can parents ask for class average results

barryl

I would like to know if parents can request from a teacher/school, class average results.In order to find out a teachers ability to teach,or of any other method that anybody may have tried.thanks alot

You can request it but you're certainly not entitled to it, and there may well be data protection issues around providing such information. In any case, without knowing the ability of the class, average results don't mean very much.

You can look up school inspection reports here
http://www.education.ie/home/home.j...fication=&educator=&educator2=&countyIndex=25

While it won't give you reports on individual teachers, you may find Whole School Evaluation reports or subject inspection reports.

The school my niece and nephew go to provides a class average column in the school report.
Secondary private school.

A class average for an in-school test tells you nothing useful about the general standard. It does give you an opportunity to gauge how your child stands in relation to his or her peers on that one test.

Have to agree with above....remember back in my day we all scored great in chemistry even though our teacher was abysmal....because every.last.one.of.us were getting grinds. So in the end he looked great on paper :(

What class average results are you looking for ?

If it for class tests, set by the teacher, then the teacher can set an easy test, give everyone an A, and you are none the wiser.

The idea that results are an indication of teaching ability sounds a bit daft to me. For example, if a teacher is teaching in an area of social deprivation where education is a low priority and results are poor, does that automatically mean the teacher isn't a good one? I don't think so.

Your child's Micra-T and Sigma-T results (if your child is in primary) will give him/her a percentile which compares to children nationally.

Back