Can one move to Northern Ireland and keep ROI job?

In general, are there any issues from the employers side with this?
Not really. You'll have a few taxation hoops to jump through but thousands of people do it. It's messier post-Brexit. It's worth taking some advice on.
It might be worth talking to Inter Trade Ireland. They might even give you a grant!

Not really. You'll have a few taxation hoops to jump through but thousands of people do it. It's messier post-Brexit. It's worth taking some advice on.
It might be worth talking to Inter Trade Ireland. They might even give you a grant!
Is it?

I literally know loads of people in that position. Never once heard of any of them facing any additional complication post-Brexit.

Is the plan to commute to the ROI job or work remotely? If commute, then that's straightforward enough, literally thousands of people do this in border counties. If work remotely, it gets a lot more tricky. Technically, the business could be seen as having an 'establishment' in Northern Ireland, and needing to register as an employer there, run payroll there, etc etc. I'm more familiar with it the other direction: from a personal tax perspective in some jobs there are agreements between revenue (eg teachers) but technically even if commuting you'd need to declare your income in the jurisdiction you're resident and pay any difference in taxes. Likely to be less of an issue going ROI to NI as income tax burden likely to be lower not higher. But none of that is an issue for your employer. It is if you are working remotely though.

But I know a few people employed in the UK who work entirely remotely here and have found the most straightforward set up for their employers was using a payroll company so they're paid in euro with Irish PRSI etc deducted at source. No extra hassle for their employers except a small fee. I assume the same would be possible the other way.

The OP's question relates to the opposite.
He was talking about potential double taxation issues for the employer if/when the NI protocol is scrapped. Again, just information from a conversation.
I do know that if it's a sales type role there are grants available for the employer from InterTrade Ireland as they have me plagued with calls and emails because I used to have a sales guy in NI.

He was talking about potential double taxation issues for the employer if/when the NI protocol is scrapped. Again, just information from a conversation.
I do know that if it's a sales type role there are grants available for the employer from InterTrade Ireland as they have me plagued with calls and emails because I used to have a sales guy in NI.
So as yet at least, it isn't actually "messier post-Brexit".

In general, are there any issues from the employers side with this?
If you're the employer and are happy to take on some additional taxation overhead, shouldn't be a problem and there are lots of companies that facilitate it.

Where I work and I know some of the other larger multi-nationals don't allow it, they just don't want the overhead.

Back