Can my family sell my US shares when I die to avoid US estate tax?

Aeolus

US equities worth over $60k are subject to 40% US estate tax.

I'm trying to think of ways to circumvent US estate tax.

I was wondering about giving my family members login details to my brokerage account.

They could then sell the US stocks for cash before they notify the broker of my death.

Can the US estate tax still be enforced if they are technically inheriting cash rather than the stocks themselves.

Is any CGT owed considering I would already be dead or would it just be CAT?

Is US estate tax even enforced in Ireland?

Thanks

US Federal Estate Tax is not widely known and it is an important tax exposure given all the employees of US multinationals who particiate in share schemes in Ireland. I doubt your suggestion would work. I imagine the broker would need to see a death certificate which would be dated before the date of the share sale. US Federal Estate Tax is enforced by the broker/registrar.

As far I'm aware USD cash is not subject to US Federal Estate Tax, but US shares are if they are worth over USD 60,000.

US equities worth over $60k are subject to 40% US estate tax.

I'm trying to think of ways to circumvent US estate tax.

I was wondering about giving my family members login details to my brokerage account.

They could then sell the US stocks for cash before they notify the broker of my death.

Can the US estate tax still be enforced if they are technically inheriting cash rather than the stocks themselves.

Is any CGT owed considering I would already be dead or would it just be CAT?

Is US estate tax even enforced in Ireland?

Thanks
There are a so many views on this some say if its slightly over 60k they might not peruse the tax , others say they will.

My wife has substantial RSUs etc and they would vest on her death and I would also like clarity on this.

I suppose one way would be to transfer any " owned shares " to an Irish/ EU broker and we did this years ago Davy and it was small money and I felt Davy were charging too much €50 a qtr now from 50 a year .

So hopefully we might get an answer on this thread.

I'd pay for a definite answer at this stage.

Back