Can members of the public buy any of the 25% shares in ESB being sold by govt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy

Can anybody tell me would it worth while for ordinary Joe's to buy the 25% share in the esb. Something like the Eircom shares. I got burnt in these shares but think the esb is a better option. The public got a very raw deal with Eircom when o'reilly bought it and I still think that when the banks were bailed out the the people who bought eircom shares would be entitled to the same. But the main question is what about the public buying shares in the electric companies

No one is saying it'll be floated publically, it is more likely another power company will take a stake in the ESB, or an investment vehicle will do so

Gussy,
You are assuming the Government are going to go down the road of an IPO. I would guess that the government have no intension of doing this but will advertise the 25% sale privately to other power companies around Europe/North America.

Thaks for the replies lads, it would seem like a good place to put some savings on the off chance of a return. Supposing they decided to sell to the Joe's what kind of reaction would it recieve from the general public. It would mean that the asset remains in Irish hands and may reduce the borrowing from our masters in europe.

You would be better, much better getting a job in the ESB.... but that might not be for ordinary Joe s

After eircom there's no way I would buy any shares in anything the Irish government was privatising.

Thaks for the replies lads, it would seem like a good place to put some savings on the off chance of a return. Supposing they decided to sell to the Joe's what kind of reaction would it recieve from the general public. It would mean that the asset remains in Irish hands and may reduce the borrowing from our masters in europe.

Have you not learned from your previous venture into IPOs.... In general it is rarely a go idea buy into an IPO, because the shares tend to fall after the first 6 to 12 months and you can pick them up cheaper then.

Jim

Folks

We don't speculate about share prices on askaboutmoney.

In particular, this thread is pointless as there is no suggestion that the shares in the ESB will be offered to the public. In the unlikely event that they are, the moderators will consider making an exception to the ban on discussing share prices.

Brendan Burgess
Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back