Can I wear a short dress to black-tie?

reds

Ladies (and any men who can help!) can I wear a just-under-the-knee cocktail-style dress to a black tie event?
Or does it have to be full-length, and black?

Ladies (and any men who can help!) can I wear a just-under-the-knee cocktail-style dress to a black tie event?

...well what does your girlfriend think?

Well according to etiquette rules, an above the knee skirt would be a definite no-no (I go by DeBrett's). Of course nobody will say anything to you or your partner directly (unless they dislike you and purposely wish to make you feel uneasy), but you will surely be the source of much comment by those who appreciate good manners at formal social occasions.

Hi

While it may not be traditional, I think it's common practice these days, particularly with younger ladies etc.

From the looks of the previous posts here, I don't think you'll get too many objections (more likely a request for photos to be posted on this website ;))

Good luck

G>

Well according to etiquette rules, an above the knee skirt would be a definite no-no (I go by DeBrett's). Of course nobody will say anything to you or your partner directly (unless they dislike you and purposely wish to make you feel uneasy), but you will surely be the source of much comment by those who appreciate good manners at formal social occasions.

I did specify a below-the-knee frock.

So far as I am aware, long dresses for ladies are only obligatory if the gents are wearing white tie and tails.

'cross your legs'

Absolutely not! Knees and ankles together and both legs held to one side! :)

The nuns got some things right - I was at an event recently where there were teenage girls on the stage - none of them had been told how to sit esp. when wearing a skirt; it was enough to make you cringe...

Back