Can I use ethernet and USB broadband at same time?

Becca

Adaptor for splitting telephone & modem

At the main telephone socket if I place a telephone/modem splitter here into which the telephone is connected into the telephone part of the splitter and an RJ11 cable is inserted into the modem part of splitter and I would connect this RJ11 cable into the modem.

Now say I have two PCs (in two different rooms) then from the modem part of the splitter wouldn't I require an RJ11 cable going to the modem at each PC?

Therefore wouldn't I require some sort of extra splitter which splits the modem signal into two at the main telephone socket so it can travel to each of the two modems?

i.e. a splitter which is inserted into the modem socket of the telephone/modem splitter, with two sockets, so I can run two RJ11 cables, one to each of the two modems.

Would this work? Does such a splitter exist?

Re: Adaptor for splitting telephone & modem

Are you talking about ADSL splitter/filters here as opposed to simple splitters?

Are you talking analog modems here (usually something like V.90 or V.92 mentioned somewhere on them), or broadband/ADSL type modems?

If the former, the splitter is nothing more than wiring two sockets to the same phone line (in exactly the same way as you can wire in two phones to the same line). There's no problem with doing this a second time (apart from the fact the more wiring and connectors you have the more likely you are to degrade the signal). As there's only one line, only one user (person on phone or modem) can use it at a time (unless you want to listen in to conversations).

If you're talking about broadband modems, it won't work. The splitter in this case does more than a simple wiring job: it has components in it to filter out the phone signal from the modem signals. Once this is done once, it can't be repeated. The best option in this case is to put the modem where the line comes in and network the two computers (either with wires or wirelessley) togher: you'll need the appropriate type of modem to enable this.

Are you talking analog modems here (usually something like V.90 or V.92 mentioned somewhere on them), or broadband/ADSL type modems?

Yes, it's a broadband/ADSL modem.

If you're talking about broadband modems, it won't work. The splitter in this case does more than a simple wiring job: it has components in it to filter out the phone signal from the modem signals. Once this is done once, it can't be repeated. The best option in this case is to put the modem where the line comes in and network the two computers (either with wires or wirelessley) togher: you'll need the appropriate type of modem to enable this.
The two modems I have were supplied by the internet provider but each only has one ethernet and one USB socket.

I suppose I could use the modem at the main telephone socket and then run an ethernet cable to one PC and a USB cable to the other PC.

Or I could just have an ethernet/RJ11 cable running from each PC back to the one modem at the main telephone socket and then just plug in the correct ethernet/RJ11 cable depending on which PC is being used.

If the plug on this adaptor would it go into a socket the same as the sockets shown on this adaptor (I'm not sure if it would), then this is the type of adaptor I had meant in my original post.

[broken link removed][broken link removed]

I have a modem from my internet supplier and it has one ethernet socket and one USB socket on it.

If I ran an ethernet cable from it to one PC in one room and I also ran a USB cable from it to another PC in another room, would it be possible for both PCs to connect to the internet at the same time using this one modem?

Just wondered if this would work in case two people wanted to use the net at the same time.

Thanks!

Should work. I have a modem provided by UTV (Voyager) and it works on both connections simulataneously.

Do you have one connection (ethernet) plugged into one PC, and the other connection (USB) plugged into a different PC at the same time?

What I had in place was an old pc connected to the modem with USB and at the same time an ethernet lead from modem to a wireless router. This in turn transmitted signal around my house. I often used both at the same time. (Would work the same if it was plugged into a PC instead of router.)

No, what you want is to put the modem where the phone line comes in and then plug the Ethernet port in the modem to an Ethernet hub or switch, for example:

[broken link removed]

Then connect each PC to the Ethernet switch and you have a network in place. All cabling to/from the swich should be "CAT-5" with RJ45 connectors on either end. This setup is not that expensive.

Your alternative of USB on one and Ethernet on the other is unlikely to work (check the modem for details, but they're probbaly mutually exclusive). The maximum length of USB cables is also quite short.

Running Ethernet cable from each to the Ethernet port on the modem and hand swapping them would work, but the cost of the hub/switch is so low these days it's worth getting for the convenience of not having to do this.

I'd say it would depend on the specific modem you are talking about. I'm surprised it lets you use both tbh. How would it handle traffic from USB and ethernet at the same time?

Technically its easily possible it will work since the modem/router probably shares its public IP address with NAT and hands out private IP addresses using DHCP to the PC clients. Provided the modem hardware hasn't been locked down for some reason to only allow the Ethernet or USB interface be active it should therefore work with both PCs connected simultaneously.

Before going wireless I always had one PC (Via USB) and one laptop (via Ethernet) connected to my broadband modem and was able to access the internet at the same time as the person using the PC without any issues.

Although the ethernet cable could be quite long, is it true that the USB cable could only be a maximum of 5 metres otherwise the signal could become affected if much longer?

If you have a PC that does not have a wireless or ethernet card then the handiest thing to do is run a longer phone cable to that pc - use modem there connected with USB. You would then have to connect PC no.2 or wireless router at this point also.

Back