Can I use an angle grinder instead of a power-sander?

WaterSprite

Just wondering if an angle grinder will do all/most of what a powered sander will do - assuming I use the right discs of course! Or is an angle grinder just for heavy duty sanding/polishing?

While I'm on it (am buying power tools at the mo) - I want to buy a saw also but am thinking of heading straight to a Sliding Mitre Saw and skipping the handheld circular saw step. Am unlikely to be cutting large widths of timber (like kitchen worktops or the like) and more likely to be cutting shelves/lengths of timber...

Thanks
Sprite

Angle grinder not really suitable as a substitute for a power sander.

Plus, incorrectly used, its one of the most dangerous tools going.

Angle grinder not really suitable as a substitute for a power sander.

Plus, incorrectly used, its one of the most dangerous tools going.

Agreed.

Sliding mitre saws are expesive, circular saw more versatile if you're not planning on doing an enormous amount of cutting.

Thanks v much - one more Q on the circular saw though - isn't it easier to cut angles (e.g. 45 degrees) with a sliding mitre, rather than a circular saw? Ditto for even straight lines of a length of timber - isn't a circular saw just a step up from a jigsaw as far as straight lines go? Or can you get a do-hickey to keep the line straight without relying 100% on steady hands and laser sighting? I want my shelf edges (for e.g.) to be dead on. I'm not too bothered about the expense - am going to buy the best I can afford (for any of the tools) so they will last me longer. Plus I have some gift vouchers:)

P.s. what about something like [broken link removed] (Bosch "all rounder")?

Or can you get a do-hickey
Lol, yeah, you can get a straight-line fence or just use clamps to clamp a straight edge on. If money isn't a bother then go for the mitre saw. I suffer from the same affliction, toys for big boys. A good tip is to go to tool hire shops and ask if they'll sell you one ex-hire. They're usually very well maintained and surprisingly new, esp. in the bigger shops like Careys (no affiliation). I'm in the trade and buy a lot of my gear this way and always satisfied.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't see the link til I'd posted. IMHO I prefer dedicated tools. All rounder yokes are apprentices of all trades and master of none. Get serious man. :)

... Or can you get a do-hickey to keep the line straight without relying 100% on steady hands and laser sighting?...
Yeah - most of the good ones come with an adjustable edge-guide, but you may be better off using a straight-edge clamped securely to the work-piece and work-bench.

Depending on what you are sawing, use the appropriate blade - the more teeth, the finer the work and the finer the work, the greater the likelihood that you will need a sacrificial timber sandwiched to the work-piece to prevent splintering (especially with plywood).

Thanks for all the replies. Am still in two minds about the mitre vs circular saw - was using a mitre saw recently and it's really a joy to work with. I'll take a look-see at the circular saw models and see if I'd be confident of fairly fine work with one. They have the advantage of being smaller and cheaper too.

Agreed on the angle grinder - I'm also suspicious of "all in one" machines and, considering there's only one of those on the Axminster website, the technology/idea is clearly not used across the board. I need to sand my outside railings, which are in an awful state, so am hoping that a normal sander with the right discs will do the trick.

Thanks again all
Sprite

p.s. big girls need big toys too:)

Have a monster sliding mitre saw myself, and it's still one of my favourite toys, you can't beat them for accuracy. I still wouldn't be without a circular saw, but if all/most of your work is going to be pretty fine, then a good mitre saw is the way to go. Pick up a cheaper circular saw down the line if/when the need arrises.

Even the large mitre saws are limited in the width they'll handle to about 12", if you need to do any stopped cuts i.e., not fully through the wood, then the width will be further reduced.

For the railing, a [broken link removed] on a small grinder or these ones with a [broken link removed] is the way to go. Sanding will take forever!

Golden rule with power tools, buy the best you can afford. Now is a great time to be buying from the UK. Along with Axminster, check out Rutlands, & D&M.
Leo

Right so! For what it's worth, after much (online and offline) advice, I'm going for the following:

- chop/mitre saw (not circular) - Axminster has a good looking own brand one for about £125
- cordless combi hammer drill - again, Axminster has a 19.2V one that looks v good
- €19.99 Lidl Angle Grinder - for the one-off railing job

The power planer and sander will have to wait until I have a job that justifies their purchase. I have a battered B&D Quattro that will do the sanding in a pinch and sure I should be able to do my own planing with a bit of elbow grease.

I never thought I would be such a hard-ass....

Thanks again all for the advice - I knew ye would come up trumps.

For what it's worth I don't think you need to spend big money or go for great brands when it comes to sanders or angle grinders either! I've owned and used a cheapey sander and angle grinder for years and both have done all manner or work at home and abroad. For tools where accuracy and performance is very important it's definitely worth going for a proper "trade" rated tool if you can afford it. I've a nice Dewalt sliding chop saw, but it's only got a 12" cut, so if I'm crosscutting timber which is marginally wider than this I'll usually finish off with a sharp handsaw and a block plane. A circular saw is only as good as the blade it's fitted with and your technique with the tool. Power tools are great (I love gadgets and tools too!) but a basic kit of quality hand tools (that are sharp and well looked after) are essential. I've tried the rest but it's hard to beat Axminster on range of tools, price or qulaity of after sales.

I've tried the rest but it's hard to beat Axminster on range of tools, price or qulaity of after sales.

That's good to know from someone who has experience. Its a 'stimulating' site but never knew anyone who had tried their stuff. Will now be revisiting confidently. Cheers Carpenter.

P.S. Will be sending you my CC bill :)

Last edited:
I've tried the rest but it's hard to beat Axminster on range of tools, price or qulaity of after sales.

I'd second Axminster too, have been buying there for a few years now. Their delivery charges to RoI are the lowest of any UK company I've dealt with, somehow they can deliver a pallet for less than many other companies charge for a small parcel.
Leo

Back