Can I take a buggy for a 3 year old with Ryanair?

colin79ie

Hi,

For once their website is not too clear on this one.

It says infants have no baggage allowance but each CHILD may take a pushchair.

My 3 year old obviously has a checked bag allowance, but can we take a pushchair for him on the flight?

There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance for infants, however one fully collapsible pushchair per child is carried free of charge and does not need to be prebooked

We were told by customer service that we could bring a buggy for our 3 year old free of charge

A 3 year old is not classed as an "infant" by Ryanair. You have to pay extra to get your buggy carried as a piece of luggage unfortunately. Ryanair states that they will carry 1 pushchair per infant checked but infant is classed as 0 - 24 months. It's very frustrating. Aer Lingus are far more accommodating but no surprises there!

When at the check in desk you receive a tag for the buggy but request that you use it until boarding. Then it's treated as a normal buggy from there albeit one with a €30 price tag!

You say nothing and you should have no problems, I've done it. Of course you could be the first unlucky person to get caught but most security/attendants are sympathetic to people with kids.

We brought the buggy for our two and a half year old without charge and there was no problem. They just tagged it and we were able to bring it to the plane. Just in case we were challenged I brought a copy of [broken link removed] page from their website where it states:

"Checked Baggage is any item accepted for carriage in the aircraft hold, including bags, infant equipment (baby seats/booster seats/travel cot), musical instruments and sports, equipment etc. (mobility equipment and children's' pushchairs are carried free of charge and do not need to be prebooked)."

Last edited:
GreenQueen, you seem sure a buggy for a toddler has to paid! Did you pay for a buggy at some stage? I have a booking for next couple weeks with ryanair. Paid for 2 year old (full rate as far as I can remember). Will I have to pay extra at airport for buggy? Do I get it tagged a bag drop off point?

Ryanair states that they will carry 1 pushchair per infant checked but infant is classed as 0 - 24 months.

Their website does not say this. It says infants have no checked bag allowance. However one fully collapsible pushchair per CHILD is carried free of charge.

It's either a child or an infant. Can't be both. They are the ones quoting their terms and conditions all the time.

Just like "It's 15.1 Kilos sir". Who calibrates the scales?

Registered here only to post the reply. Contacted RyanAir with the same question. First sent me some bull**** about travelling with infants from their rools, then I asked again and got the answer:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Ryanair.
In regards to your recent correspondence please be advised that children over two years old can have a handluaggage within the permitted dimension and they can have a fully collapsable pushchair if they still use one.

Travelled last summer with ryanair, I brought a buggy for a six year old (they do get tired), no charge, no hassle. Also brought a very light double buggy just a little bit bigger than a single stroller, they said carry it over to area where they scan large items, no charge, no hassle.

Just back from Tenerife - flew with Ryanair. Took buggy for 3 year old, no problem, no charge, no hassle.

Back