Wrong forum can i stop paying rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elaine2009

Hi all,
i'm having alot a problems with my new apartment and i can't seem to get the landlord to sort out the issues. i was wondering if i can withhold rent until the problems are fixed.
the two biggest problems are
1: he advertised the apartment would come with a private car space but then, after i moved in, said that it didn't actually come with a car space and is now refusing to give me access to the space unless i pay more rent.
2: the electrics are so dodgy that a fire started the other night. there's no major damage to the apartment but it affected the water pump, washing machine and emersion (for hot water)... so basicaly i have no hot water or washing machine. he said he'd fix these things yesterday but still hasnt done anything about it (won't answer my calls either)

I'm seriously angry and thinknig of cancelling my rent until the problems are fixed. anyone know if i'm entitled to do this or what the best thing to do would be?
thanks!
Elaine

i had problems with apt before,very hard to get the landlady to call to apt or agree to fix things so in the end i held back the rent and she called over very quickly and sorted things out,

I'm with stephen1381 on this. I would look for somewhere new to move to and move out once the period of rent plus deposit you have paid has run out as you are unlikely to get deposit back. I would not always advise this move but given the seriousness of the complaints I would go down this road. Also report to PRTB.

Thanks guys!
ive just emailed Treshold so will see what they come back with on monday.
i'll check out ptrb as well.

think i'll go looking for new apartments too... good advice on the desposit by the way... there's no way the landlord will give that back. nice one.
Elaine

As far as I know withholding a deposit in lieu of rent is illegal.

You should be able to legally get out of the lease early as he has not honoured it?

Was the car space specifically mentioned?

In any case I'd move out, there are decent LL's out there who want decent tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back