Can i split the buying price in half and get FTB on 1 half and stamp duty on the othr

• Thread starter dwayneburke
  • Start date
D

dwayneburke

Hi

In a situation whereby myself and my girlfriend are buying MY PARENTS home.

I already have property which i am owner occupier, and it is currently up for sale. My parents house is going for circa €375000. I know that if both patries were to appear on the deeds i would not get the Family/relation benefit of 50% off the stamp duty i.e. from 6% to 3%. I have a few options open to me

1. I buy the house off my parents myself and only my name appears on the deeds (which my partner is not too happy about as she doesnt have security understandably enough)
  2. We both buy the house together and take the 6% hit :mad:
  3. The accountant queried if it is possible to split the cost of the house in half i.e. my girlfirend buy her share for €187500 and she would be regarded as a FTB paying no tax. And on my €187500 i would pay 1.5% tax or 3% whatever the case maybe (DONT KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE BUT CHECKING IT OUT)
  4. I apply for the mortgage along with my father leaving her out of it and i get the house for 3%. I would also create a (separate legal agreement) that she would at least be entitled to whatever she put into the house if the reltionship turned sour. I.E. i would be liable and not the house.
Any ideas anyone? Cheers

Why not put the gaff in the girlsfriends name?
If you then marry her, the transfer to joint names is then free of CGT
;)

Back