Can I refuse to have my ESB Meter replaced with a Smart Meter?

Where do you see this? It's not mentioned in the ESB FAQs. It's not a new connection installation.

Surely if a meter is broken then ESB would have to provide a replacement free of charge? Isn't that what the standing charge is for?
It was widely publicised at the start of the roll-out that the initial offer would be a free replacement, but that there would be no guarantee of that in the future. It's probably unlikely they would charge in the event of a failure, m,ore likely if the owner later decided they wanted one to avail of a more suitable smart tariff.

Some people prefer horses to cars, for now it's their choice. In time when their analogue meter finally gives up the ghost, ESB Networks have reserved the right to charge for installing a new meter, which will be a smart meter.
So when I eventually phone ESB networks to tell them that my analogue meter is under reading and needs replacement, they will refuse to replace it until I pay them ?

It was widely publicised at the start of the roll-out that the initial offer would be a free replacement, but that there would be no guarantee of that in the future. It's probably unlikely they would charge in the event of a failure, m,ore likely if the owner later decided they wanted one to avail of a more suitable smart tariff.
There was never the talk about a free replacement. The ESB made clear from the start that everybody has to pay for it. As far as I remember, the costs will be spread over the next 20 years in form of some sort of levy. It will be part of everyone's bill!

So when I eventually phone ESB networks to tell them that my analogue meter is under reading and needs replacement, they will refuse to replace it until I pay them ?
I'd say they will be more than happy to replace your analogue meter- and you won't be charged a cent.

There was never the talk about a free replacement. The ESB made clear from the start that everybody has to pay for it. As far as I remember, the costs will be spread over the next 20 years in form of some sort of levy. It will be part of everyone's bill!
Yes, it's true the cost is being absorbed, but in the existing standing charges that all users pay. But those who choose to wait may have to pay additional costs when the time comes.

According to a headline in yesterday's Irish Independent at least 80,000 of the shiny new digital devices are giving inaccurate readings, who'da thunk? I mean all the high-paid help, expensive contractors and the Greens and they end up back on square one for the poor consumer - over-paying again!

Don't believe the papers. Clickbait.it's because the 2G link to ESBN is affecting the frequency of the automatic meter read back to ESBN.
The actual meter is unaffected.
The spinning disk has no automatic read capability!, so are you saying it's totally inaccurate as well
The whole topic is based on hysterical reaction to a simple change over. Same for the punt to Euro, Candle light to electric ,3G 5G gives you covid and all the other BS .
Kremlin is having a good laugh.

Last edited:
Don't believe the papers. Clickbait.it's because the 2G link to ESBN is affecting the frequency of the automatic meter read back to ESBN.
The actual meter is unaffected.
The spinning disk has no automatic read capability!, so are you saying it's totally inaccurate as well
The whole topic is based on hysterical reaction to a simple change over. Same for the punt to Euro, Candle light to electric ,3G 5G gives you covid and all the other BS .
Kremlin is having a good laugh.
I heard If you stick a tin foil hat on your electricity meter itl be grand

In this case they definitely didn't anyway and the customers didn't even think of looking at it, I asked EI had they taken a pic for example after installation that would prove it was zero but they hadn't, they just said it was at zero!
I got one fairly recently and they didn't give me a reading. When I went down to take my usual pics I found I didn't know how to read it and had to return and go online to see how to read it. The pain now is that I have to press button 3 or 4 times and take at least two pics as I'm nightsaver. Before you say it, I will still check manually even if the app or ESB networks gives me real-time readings. I work in software ....:oops:

Back