Health Insurance Can I reduce my Private Health Cover while maintaining existing benefits.

Patrickf

Hi
My wife and I are currently on VHI Plan D Health Plus Premuim at a total cost of 5540 euro for year 2015/2016. Renewal date 1st August. I'm 73 and my wife is 66. My wife had two cataracts removed during the past few months and cost was totally covered in Mater Private under our current plan. My health is good with no cardiac conditions to date. I'm currently on medication for benign prostatic hyperplasia. I would like some advice on any available plans that might give same cover while bringing down the cost. Almost 1/5 of my pension is going on insurance cover (health/house/car).
Regards,
Patrickf.

Patrickf,

Plan D current cost per person is 3530pa x 2 = Total cost 7060 for 2016/2017.

Plan D fully covers public and private hospitals upto and including a private room. It also fully covers a semi-private room in the Mater Private and
a private room in Blackrock Clinic and Beacon Hospital. It covers unlimited access to these 3 hi-tech hospitals.
The 2 alternative cheaper plans at that identical level both have an excess. This means that you would pay an excess of 125 or 150 only on admission for surgery or treatment or for a day case procedure.

Details as follows;
1. VHI Company Plan Executive Excess; price 3271pa; same hospital cover as before but with an excess of 125 payable if admitted to a hi-tech hospital for a stay or day case. This plan also has very good day to day cover, but there is a two year waiting time applied to this part of cover if you are over 65 yrs. You would stay on Plan D day to day cover while waiting.

2. LAYA Empower 150 Create; price 3120pa(increasing to 3219 from 1/7/2016) same hospital cover as before + full cover for a private room in all 3 hi-tech hospitals, note there is
an excess of 150 only payable on admission or day case to a private or hi-tech hospital. There is also very good day to day cover on this plan.
There is no waiting applied to this extra day to day cover with Laya Healthcare.

[broken link removed]

Alternative cheaper options with Laya Healthcare worth considering as follows;
1. Total Health Select; price 1838pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, no excess on this plan, very good day to day cover, no waiting
applied - day to day covered straight away. While unlimited access is not fully covered on this plan, most surgery is covered in hi-tech hospitals
if required.

2. Simplicity Plan; Price 1087pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, maximum excess per year 100 x 2 - regardless of the amount of admissions per year. Day case excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover included - first 100 not allowed. Private room in a private hospital covered. Private room covered in Blackrock Clinic, semi private room covered in Mater Private and Beacon hospital.

[broken link removed]

Alternative cheaper options with VHI healthcare as follows;
1. One Plan Extra; price 1464pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, no excess on this plan, no day to day cover.
2. PMI 42 15; price 1648pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, no excess on this plan, very good day to day cover included but a 2 year
waiting time applies to this extra day to day cover, you would stay on Plan D day to day while waiting.
Note; private room in a private hospital not fully covered on the above 2 plans;

[broken link removed]

A lot of alternative options to consider at cheaper prices.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi Snowyb,
Thanks for your prompt reply and range of alternative plans. I certainly will examine them all in detail.
Regards.
Patrickf.

Back