Can I pass on tenant's Phone No. to Utility Co.?

Westie123

Hello,

Our tenants moved out at the end of May. They had a contract with UPC for TV/ Broadband. It has since emerged that they left without paying the final bill ( it was in their name). UPC are now threatening to pass this on to a debt collection agency, and also to demand a reconnection fee for a new connection. The same thing happened at the end of May 2009.
Am I entitled to pass on the former tenant's mobile phone number to UPC, seeing it looks like I will be caught for the reconnection fee if I want to get new tenants in September?

Thanks.

Yes of course - I'm surprised UPC hasn't got the persons contact details already? If you're goin to be left with a future connection hassle then it's in your own interst to pass it on?

No, this would be a breach of the data protection act and coul leave you in a lot of trouble. Have you tried contacting the tenants yourself to let them know of the situation?

I think is ok under Section 2a of the Act - allows "data controller" to pass information to third parties for the purposes of "legitimate interests" etc.

Also allows passing on of info to allow compliance with a legal obligation or an obligation imposed by contract (I assume that the tenancy agreement had the catch all condition that the tenants are responsible for their own utility bills).

You should have learned your lesson in May 2009. Next time insist your tenant pays the cable bill by DD and hold onto their deposit a bit longer too.

PS data protection issues, you should not pass on their phone number. Why don't you phone your tenant instead? Otherwise, just write it off.

Back