can i paint over white glossed ceiling?

MrsBell

Hello, can I paint over a white glossed ceiling with a white matt paint? Someone has said the paint won't stick to the gloss??? Is this right??
Thanks.

No, don't think it will. Might work if you try undercoat first though.

Are you sure it's gloss? Sounds unusual.

I doubt that is true. At least I hope it is not! My plumbing leaked and stained the ceiling of the living room badly. A painter told me to apply a few coats of gloss as Matt won't cover the stain, then apply a few coats of Matt over the gloss.

yes it is definitely gloss - long story, involving my husband being sent to buy the paint!! I bought matt yesterday to re-do it but might try undercoat first as suggested.

It is gloss undercoat (oil based) which should be used to cover the stains.

To kill a water stain you use 50/50 (undercoat and gloss) or knotting or spray on stainblock form Polycell.

Emulsion won’t go on with much success over full Gloss

Need to sand, undercoat and then use emulsion.

Alternative is to line the painted ceiling with lining paper and coat with emulsion, will need to fill joints , but if ceiling is cracked or poor condition this is the A-one way to bring it up to a good finish with out re-plastering.

how about trying a coat of diluted polybond first then emulsion i think the polybond will ensure adhesion

Yep, I second the polybond, I painted over a wall that had glossy paint on it and the polybond did the trick.

Polybond is basically a glue called PVA
PVA means polyvinyl adhesive which is a wood workers glue and is also a sealer.
If you just go into a hard ware shop they should know what you are talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an adhesive which, diluted with water, is often used as a sealant to aid the bonding of paint or tile adhesive, etc. I'd say you'd need to water it down quite a lot for the purpose described here, but I'm not an expert so will let someone else advise on the proportions...!

[Post crossed with S.L.F.'s while he was expanding!]

I think I bought mine in Homebase or B&Q - it comes in white small tub, and there are instructions for different uses on it, as far as I remember it had to be diluted 1:10 and it is quite watery. You paint it on and wait till it's not quite dry, but kind of sticky and then paint over it with the normal paint, works perfectly fine.

Back