Can I offset losses due to Exchange rate fluctuations

B

BrendanDub

Hi,
I exercised US company stock options in 2003 when US$ was a lot stronger than it is now. I left the money in the US until now when I need to pay tax on it. The original value of the gain in euros is obviously a lot lower now due to the weakening of the dollar. First of all, must I use the exchange rate at the date of exercise to calculate my tax? If so can I offset the capital loss in the value of the asset (ie the US $ amount) in the time between the exercise and the conversion to euros, and can this loss be offset against income tax?

In calulating your chargeable gain/loss you must translate the proceeds using the rate of exchange at the date of sale and the expenditure using the rate applicable at the date(s) the expenditure was incurred

Hi Capaill - I thought you had a number of options regarding what FX rates you declare for these transactions, with the restriction that Revenue expect you to be consistent from year to year in the rate chosen. I thought you could choose from;

1) The actual rates incurred on the day of the transaction
2) The Revenue 'standard' rates for that year

That sounds reasonable to me. I have seen revenue publish standard rates for the year.

Back