Can I legally hold down two x 0.6 part-time Public Service roles, with two state pensions?

BusyAtMaths

I'm 45, and currently employed in a full-time, permanent role in the public sector, 16 years, with pension.

I've accepted a permanent part-time role in another public sector department, but it is 0.6 FTE (21 hours). The role has the potential to be full-time 1.0 in future.

This is a career opportunity for me that I've been seeking for some time. I anticipate (all going well) that I will stay here until retirement.

So I need to find another part-time role to make ends meet.

I have been offered a second part-time role, 0.6 FTE (21 hours), temporary, in public sector, pensionable.

My Question:

Can I legally hold down two x 0.6 part-time Public Service roles, with two state pensions?

IF state pension rules will not allow going over 1.0, can my pension contributions in either role be amended appropriately?

Thanks

All your public service will be accumulated within designated limits and you will qualify for one PS pension.

I don't think there is any issue with working two roles that add up to more than a whole-time equivalent. I imagine you are in the health or education sector where part-time roles and shift roles are common.

The issue is probably with the pension: there was a minor scandal about this in the past where a guy worked two full-time roles and was entitled to pensions from both, see here. IIRC the rules were tightened up subsequently so that you could not receive pension benefits from two PS roles that added up to more than on whole-time equivalent.

Have a look on circulars.gov.ie and there might be something.

Many public service contracts stipulate you need to declare other places of employment so ensure you do that and HR will probably flag any issues

Back