Can I handle Conveyancing myself?

fender

I have engaged a solicitor for a house sale. The solicitor has handled everything to date such as land registry issues, planning, deeds etc and we are waiting for the contacts. I feel the purchaser is going to pull out and we may have to put the house back on the market.

Will I need to engage the solicitor again for conveyancing as everything is in order except the contacts stage?

i.e. Will a purchasers solicitor deal directly with me?

Thanks

. The solicitor has handled everything to date such as land registry issues, planning, deeds etc and we are waiting for the contacts. I

i.e. Will a purchasers solicitor deal directly with me?

This is a bit confusing, you are the vendor, why would the solicitor have had to deal with the land registry, planning and deeds, surely this was already in order?

Why would you want to handle the legalities of a sale yourself, you can do it, but will you be able. Technically selling is easier than selling, it's the purchasing solicitor who needs to make sure everything that is needed is supplied by you.

Yes I am the Vendor. My Solicitor checked the deeds of the house I am selling etc etc. I presume this is standard practice. The purchasers solicitor I'm sure will have done similar for his client.

I suppose I am asking, as the conveyancing is mainly done, would it be feasable for a 'lay' person to carry out the balance of the conveyancing? (We have not seen a contract yet).

I will have to pay the current auctioneers fees and current solicitors fees and I don't want to have to pay second time around if I can avoid it.

So if you get another purchaser, you will have to issue new contracts to them. If you have a copy of the current contracts you may be able to do that.

But then you have to answer precontract requisitions, check a draft deed of transfer, answer a 44 page document called Objections & Requisitions on Title which has hundreds of title queries, draft closing documents, answer closing searches and close the sale.

Can you do those things?

Because the purchasers solicitor will not be able to help you and may even refuse to act if there is a hint that you don't know what you are doing.

Back