Can I go back on Lone Parent?

P

PHOEBE

I am a single parent, my 19yr old son did his leaving cert June 2010, he has not been able to get a job and is now getting JSA of €100pw, because he was not continuing in education I went off Lone Parent and onto JSA. Now my son has applied, and been accepted to college but having looked up the welfare site I am totally confused as to what he is entitled to claim ie; Back to Education Allowance or a Grant? Or can/should I apply to go back on Lone parent, would we be better off? I have no other income and do not receive any maintenance or help with my mortgage as at the time I took it out my brother went guarantor and he is now unemployed.

The rules for new applicants of opfp have changed, and now only applies until your child is 14.

Your son may be eligible for btea. What course is he planning on doing? Level 5, 6 or higher?

The rules for new applicants of opfp have changed, and now only applies until your child is 14.

Your son may be eligible for btea. What course is he planning on doing? Level 5, 6 or higher?

In general BTEA is available for over 21s.

Thanks for your comments, I am going into welfare officer today so will check it out.

These rules have not yet come into effect. If you are an existing claimant on 27th April 2011 then you will continue to receive your OPFP as before until January 2013 or until end of academic year 2012/2013.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Bi...eParentFamilies/Pages/OPFPChanges_270411.aspx

You should get on to OPFP asap to ensure you don't lose it.

Ildánach,
The OP has already closed their OFP claim, so the new rules may be applied if it is treated as a brand new claim?

Phoebe,
As an alternative to re-claiming One Parent Family payment, you could apply for an increase to your Jobseeker's Allowance in respect of your son, once he starts college (and signs off jobseeker's himself). Assuming there are no means to be assessed, the maximum rate of payment is the same on both schemes (Jobseekers and One Parent Family).

Ildánach,
The OP has already closed their OFP claim, so the new rules may be applied if it is treated as a brand new claim?

Yes, it will be treated as a new claim, but if the claim is EXISTING on 27th April 2011, she will be treated as an existing applicant and retain her eligibility.

Agreed, Ildánach.

I just presumed that since the OP mentioned college, that the claim process wouldn't begin till September/October next which is why I mentioned the new claim/new rules.

Back