Can I get NTL to remove a pole from the end of my garden?

eamonn123456

Background
Just bought a house and there is an NTL pole at the end of the garden.

Not quite sure why they needed a pole as I believe that the cabling runs on the surface / at a shallow depth along the back of other neighbours gardens, but is then strung up on a pole when it enters mine.

The cable to my house goes across from the pole to the eaves of my house.

It seems now that cabling may continue along the back of my garden to other houses in another street (I am at the end of our cul de sac).

Maybe the previous owner insisted that the cable go across to the house at pole height, although most neighbours just run it along their fences at ground level and then up the side of the house.

Incidentally I am not (yet) an NTL customer, I have not got a TV at the moment, but I could become a customer.

In any case, I would really like the pole to be removed.

1. If I request that they remove it, do you think they will agree? As per another posting I am about to make, they will need to come out anyway to repair a break caused by a workman in my garden.

2. If not, can I legally remove it myself (while taking care to remove the cabling carefully so as not to break it (again!))?

3. Is there anything I can do to persuade them to agree to my request?

Hope someone can give me some insight into this please?

If it were me I would be inclined to contact www.comreg.ie to see if they can give any advice on your rights.

We are an end house and NTL sought our permission to lay the cables under our garden.

Thanks Sueellen, will do.

NTL told me today that I need to send any request for removal of equipment to them in writing. It will take 'several weeks'.

Not sure how much fuss they will cause or delays before they get the pole off my garden.

I might request te pole and all cabling including that going to other house be removed, then as a compromise agree to allow them cable access if they remove the pole.

Any ideas on how I can persuade them?

Update: Comreg say its outside their remit and I should take legal advice if there are any issues regarding this.

Hi , I have ntl equipment on the side of my house and didn't realise until one of their engineers called out (i have sky) he said that we would be entitled to free ntl as they had their property on my house so i phoned up the concessions department and they assessed it , and now i have free ntl for the past 4 years.

We have an NTL box in our garden. I initially contacted them last April to get it removed. After much heartache and after speaking to about 7 different people we finally agreed to keep it on our property in return for a free service. The concession was processed and signed off by me and the person in NTL.

Despite this they are still sending me invoices. They are the most incompetent creeps I have ever dealt with.

My advice is to try and get the name of one person there who you can ask for when you phone. I eventually spoke to a woman called Ber in the customer sevice in Limerick and she was very helpful. It was only through her that I eventually had any success. Nonetheless I am still being billed!

I have NTL Equipment on the side of my house and I only have a half price concession, not full price like other posters. Think I will get back on to them about that!

Hi , I have ntl equipment on the side of my house and didn't realise until one of their engineers called out (i have sky) he said that we would be entitled to free ntl as they had their property on my house so i phoned up the concessions department and they assessed it , and now i have free ntl for the past 4 years.

When you say 'their equipment' what do you mean exactly?

What I suggest you do is write to Ntl at

Correspondence Team,
UPC Communications Ireland Ltd.,
Building P2, Eastpoint Business Park,
Clontarf,
Dublin 3.

Ask them to get a tech to call out to the property to access the situation it could be that the pole plus cable can be removed - I know there is a country wild rebuild plan going on at the moment and they may be in a position to remove it - I know I have cable attached to my house and when the upgrades/rebuilds are finished in my area end of October the cable going across the road is going to be removed as well as a spilter.

As for the person who is having problem with their billing and they have a concession in place I suggest that you write into the Concessions Department at the above address and get them to deal with it.

In relation to concessions there is a set list of concessions i.e. depending on what equipment you have on your property will depend on what concession you are entitled to be it a riser, spilter, amp etc.

Also to answer your question no you cannot remove NTL's property - if you do you are leaving yourself open to legal action.

Hope that helps

Great answers thanks everyone, esp Irish Lass!

Seems they will take down the pole and run the cable in a narrow duct on the surface behind my hedge. I am happy with that, thanks again.

Is the cable still going to be running across your property? If it is, I would suggest you ask them for a concession for the privilege.

You are not entitled to a concession if the cable running to your property is to supply you with a service - NTL are not legally obliged to give you a TV service unlike eircom - so what may happen is if you kick up a fuss demanding a concession for a cable supplying a service to your property they can remove the cable resulting in you getting no service - not saying thats what you are planning on doing

Pole is GONE! Result! :)

They came and cut it down with a bow saw, and left it to me for firewood. Left the butt behind but that will be covered by the new hedge. Tidied up the cable and put it behind the hedge. Only trampled and broke a bit ;-)

Took the feed off my house as it had been strung from the pole.

If I want NTL they will run me a new feed up the side fence and up the side of the house which is good.

By the way I am not the end of the line, the main cable runs across my entire back wall. The cable is not running there purely for my (potential) benefit as it goes to / from both my next door neighbours (and beyond).

It also has the feed going to my neighbour taken out of 'my section' of the main cable and running across a few yards of my back wall.

I guess in theory I could still ask for a concession. If they refuse, I don't have to take NTL anyway, or I can still go to them as a paying customer, I don't imagine they will refuse my business out of spite.

Any further thoughts?

Back