Can I do the conveyancing myself on a small plot of land?

LANDLUBBER

I'm selling a small piece of land Can I do the conveyancing myself ? I have a registration document from the land registry of an area of which this piece of land is part

I'm not a solicitor myself but I've been involved with enough property transactions over the years to know that the conveyancing process involves quite a number of detailed steps and an awful lot of potential pitfalls. People sometimes think that if there's no mortgage involved that somehow the conveyacing process is merely a matter of signing a bit of paper somewhere. It's not.

The amount of time you'd need to spend learning how to complete each step correctly would be enormous and you still wouldn't have the benefit of an experienced person to make sure you're doing it right. So while it's probably legal that you can do it all yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. You can research the internet and find out how to perform a hip replacement yourself if you want to, but I would recommend that either.

Thank you. The trouble is a solicitor will charge 600 euro plus vat. which is a big percentage on a modest transaction. But they points you make are correct. I've done some research on the steps to take and it seems rather complex.

It costs 60 Euro to go to the doctor for 5 minutes and about 100 Euro for the repair man to look at your washing machine. So 600 Euro doesn't sound a lot for a complex transaction that relies on the knowledge and experience of a solicitor.

It costs 60 Euro to go to the doctor for 5 minutes and about 100 Euro for the repair man to look at your washing machine. So 600 Euro doesn't sound a lot for a complex transaction that relies on the knowledge and experience of a solicitor.

I can give you the contact details of a repair man who will charge €30 call out.

If you're getting a mortgage to buy, the bank will not accept your word that you have a good title for the land. They're going to want a qualified solicitor with professional indemnity insurance.

Back