Can I Delay Signing?

elliecon

I Am In The Process Of Buying A Home And 2 Weeks Ago I Was Informed By My Solicitor That I Would Be Signing The Contracts This Week (no Specific Date Given). I Have Since Heard Nothing From My Solicitor Despite Leaving Several Messages. As It Is Now So Near To Xmas And Due To Personal Reasons I Now No Longer Want To Sign This Side Of Xmas, I Want To Wait Until The New Year.

Is It Possible For Me To Contact My Solicitor To Let Her Know I No Longer Want To Sign Until The New Year Or Can I Be Forced To Sign On A Specific Date? Is There A Penalty For Delaying The Signing Of The Contracts? I Will Not Be Able To Move Into The Apartment Until The Middle Of January So I Don't Want To Be Paying A Mortgage When I'm Not Living In It.

Many Thanks

Please do not capitalise the first letter in each word when you post - it is very difficult to read.

You need to talk to your solicitor - you don't seem to understand the difference between signing the contracts and closing the transaction. If you cannot talk to the solicitor, then you can leave a message confirming that you do not want to sign Contracts until after Christmas. Ther may well be reasons why this will create difficulties - without knowing the facts, its impossible to say.

mf

Back