Can i claim from management company?

jigsaw

hi guys, i doscovered today that somebody completely pulled my alarm box off the outside wall of my apartment and cut all the wires, thank god they didnt enter my home and take anything.

as my block insurance is covered in my management fees, i was wondering if this would be covered ? its the only insurance i have (i dont have contents insurance) as i dont have many meterial goods in the apartment

if i am covered would i have to contact the gardai and file a police report?

hope someone can advise ( i have left the management co 2 messages and am just waiting for a call back)

opinions welcome

thanks

jigsaw

You'd have to check with your managing company but I would say it is not covered as the alarm, while outside on the wall, is quite likely your responsibility/option. Did you get the alarm installed?
It may also be worth checking whether your lease actually allows you have an external alarm box - it is possible that you are not and it has been removed legitimately on that basis!
It may also be worth checking if your alarm has been driving any of your neighbours nuts by going off for no reason and they have taken "action" against it.

In any event I don't think it would be worth it, the excess for block insurance is normally too high to claim for small amounts - mine is €800.

Should report the matter to the gardai, if your alarm box was removed, as it was theft.

If a bell box is removed it should set off its siren.

who installed the alarm, you or the mgmt co ? if it was you, then nothing to do with mgmt co. if your property is leasehold,then i dont think you are meant to attach anything to the outside walls so maybe the mgmt co. whipped it off like the way they remove satellite dishes ?

thanks for the replies guys, i am the property owner and also these alarms were fitted to all of the apartments when they were built 4 years ago

the wires were clearly cut and it was removed and left outside my door

the alarm could not have been driving anybody nuts because i havnt armed it in 2 years

so where do you think i stand? i just got a call from management co and they are calling me back in 5 minutes

Almost certainly not. The block policy insures the management companies property. The alarm is almost certainly yours, even though it was fitted to every unit, so there's no reason for it to be covered.

Mark is right, block policies tend to cover structures but not fittings unless in a common area.

You definitely should contact the Gardai and report it to your management agent, maybe even speak to a few neighbours. This sort of action is probably criminal damage and you need to find out who did it and why.

Someone did this to our alarm box too. A note in the door to let us know the alarm was going off and annoying people would have sufficed. We had a friend of a friend who replaced the alarm box for us at a small cost so we didn't bother to make a claim or anything, we did phone the gardai though and they came out and took a look. Give your own insurance company a call to see if they would cover it, your alarm wouldn't be covered by your buildings insurance(block insurance) i would say. The alarm technician also checked and replaced the faulty window sensors which were causing the alarm to go off unneccessarily

the management co just informed me that im not covered

i found out what happened. i live in a duplex apartment block and i am told that upstairs apartment and my apartment share the same bell box outside. the apartment above me is empty and the alarm went for for a long period and obviously there was nobody to turn it off. So it appeared that the alarm was coming from my apartment because i have the little white box outside my door.

theres no way i am paying for the repair because whoever owns the upstairs apartment is responsible

i will contact gardai later today

Back