Can I claim for a new door for rental property?

jigsaw

Hey guys

Once of my rental properties has an old wooden door that I have had repaired several times.

I have decided to get a new paladio composite door.

The cost is around €1600.

Can I claim this as a capital allowance?

I have read mixed opinions online.

Thanks guys

Why not claim it as an entirely deductible expense to set off against tax for the financial year?

Is it possible to do that?

Would it not be a capital allowance expense as its quite expensive?
I’m not an expert but it’s either an expense or a capital allowance. Either way you get relief - except with capital it’s over 8 years. To be on the safe side, claim as a capital allowance - it has the hallmark of a capital expense.

(I’m sorry if that’s of not much use to you in terms of certainty).

Try https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/documents/notes-for-guidance/tca/part09.pdf

That sounds like a repair to me - allowable as an expense against the rental income for the year

Replacing a worn/rotten door with a new door is a repair, imho, even if the new door is a higher standard than the old door

Capital Allowances are use for Capital expenditure which enhance the building for example an extension

A new door is a capital item and you should claim capital allowances on the cost of the door over 8 years. You are not repairing the existing door back to its original state which would be allowed as a repair

A new extension would not be allowed for Capital Allowances either. This would add value to the house and you would get relief in your Capital Gains Tax computation when you sell the house

All my opinion of course

If replacing a broken door is considered as a capital allowance, then should replacing a broken window pane also be considered a capital allowance rather than a repair?

Reactions: jpd
If replacing a broken door is considered as a capital allowance, then should replacing a broken window pane also be considered a capital allowance rather than a repair?
If you are restoring the original window pane then the materials you bought to repair it are fully tax deductible but if it is new i.e. you fitted a new pane then it is a capital allowance.

A new door is a capital item and you should claim capital allowances on the cost of the door over 8 years. You are not repairing the existing door back to its original state which would be allowed as a repair

A new extension would not be allowed for Capital Allowances either. This would add value to the house and you would get relief in your Capital Gains Tax computation when you sell the house

All my opinion of course
Fully agree

Is it possible to do that?

Would it not be a capital allowance expense as its quite expensive?
I'm doing up CGT at the moment and looking at my old files. My accountant told me that it doesn't matter if an item is expensive.

We were discussing windows at the time because I was aware it was a bit of grey area with revenue. And that new windows do not necessarily add value to a property, that one could argue they keep value rather than increase it. In my cases the windows were rotting and beyond repair, like the door in this thread. The accounant at that time had attended a professional seminar where it was decided windows and roofs were repairs.

So I wrote the windows off as a repair. In the same tax year I bought a washing machine and wrote that over whatever the W&T years were at the time.

I've a new limit now, not a revenue limit. Anything under €500 Euro is a straight right off. I've heard other landlords limits are €1000. My Wear and Tear Excel (capital allowances) would be unbelievable otherwise. If revenue audit me and argue over writing off a €100 hoover over 8 years they can redo the calculations for 8 years is my view.

I think real capital expenditure, that is enhancement is converting an attic, adding a conservatory. A purchaser isn't going to pay more for you house because you put in a brand new door.

Back